• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remove ALL swirl marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to remove ALL swirl marks?

I have been lurking and reading post on this forum for a few weeks. Hello everybody.

I have a 3 month old brilliant black crystal pearl Chrysler 300. I have clayed and waxed the car and been very careful when I wash it. I use the 2 bucket method and I even rinse the microfiber wash mitt with the hose before re-rinsing it in the clean water. But I still have slight swirl marks from when I originally bought it. I have tried the ScratchX and ColorX on some test spots using a Wen Model 943 rotary buffer. I have followed the video instructions on how to use the rotary buffer but I cannot remove the very faint light swirls.

Am I just creating these swirls as I try to remove the original swirls?
    Is it possible to remove ALL the swirls?
    Will they eventually return even if I take the utmost care in washing it?

Before I spend an entire weekend taping up and covering the lights and glass then cutting, buffing and polishing and investing in a DA, pads and liquids can I remove 100% of all the swirls.

D.

Re: Is it possible to remove ALL swirl marks?

You will probably want to try something other than a rotary buffer. Unless you're very experienced, a rotary buffer can and will leave swirls in your paint mostly due to it's true circular (direct drive) spinning motion, meaning that the pad is spinning much in the same manner as a drill. For a new vehicle with only slight swirling, a rotary can be akin to a sledgehammer approach. Better to use a dual action polisher (DA) which rotates and oscillates as opposed to the direct spinning of the rotary buffer.

Also what pads are you using? Polishing pads should be as aggressive as you would want to go on a new car's finish. Cutting pads would be unnecessary and too aggressive, given your circumstances.

See Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Comment

I've seen swirl free finishes using only a rotary buffer but it does take experience, the right pad the right products and one thing that's out of your control and that's paint that is easily polished. Some paints don't polish well with any product or technique, so paint is a huge factor that you have no control over.

To insure a swirl free finish, most people will switch to a dual action polisher and some type of light polish or cleaner/polish to work out any light swirls left by the rotary buffer.

It's the changing of the action between tools that enables you to get away from a direct drive tool, (rotary buffer), to a tool that oscillates with a clutch.

There's probably 2-3 dozen threads on this topic in our Hot Topics
      forum.

Hang tight I'll go get all of them...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I used a combination of 3 different pads. A 50 ppi buffing, 70 ppi polishing and 100 ppi finishing pad. But I still have the very faint swirl marks. I agree that I need a DA. But if I buy the DA with all the proper pads and products will it remove 100% of the swirls? Or is it impossible to be 100% swirl free and just live with it?

Comment

Originally posted by deep309 View Post
          I used a combination of 3 different pads. A 50 ppi buffing, 70 ppi polishing and 100 ppi finishing pad. But I still have the very faint swirl marks. I agree that I need a DA. But if I buy the DA with all the proper pads and products will it remove 100% of the swirls? Or is it impossible to be 100% swirl free and just live with it?

Completely possible to achieve 100% swirl free results, the tricky part is maintaining this high level of finish quality if the car is a daily driver.

Is this for a daily driver or a special interest, (at least special interest to you), Sunday Driver/Garage Queen?

If it's a daily driver, then you can still produce a swirl free finish in your detailing session and then maintain it with a good maintenance program, it's all up to you and the time you're willing to invest.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Completely possible to achieve 100% swirl free results, the tricky part is maintaining this high level of finish quality if the car is a daily driver.

If it's a daily driver, then you can still produce a swirl free finish in your detailing session and then maintain it with a good maintenance program, it's all up to you and the time you're willing to invest.

If you say that 100% swirl free is possible for my daily driver with proper maintenance then I'll go for it. I will read the links you posted, buy the DA and the required products and put the time into trying it. Thanks for the quick reply, I will post pics when its done.

D.

PS : Before I purchased this car I used to buy the cheap no name brand cleaning products. But now I only buy Meguiars products. The sole reason I changed is because of the very informative videos you have posted plus this forum with a wealth of knowledge. Keep up the good work you have a customer for life.

Comment

Mike you are the Man! You really do so much work for this forum, it takes a lot of time to organize everything and find the links like you do in your post! Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');