• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally joined the elite club of those who've backed into a curb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally joined the elite club of those who've backed into a curb

I was careless and reversed a bit too fast into an unexpectedly higher than usual curb. It was high enough to contact the absolute lowest painted part of the car. The damaged area is about 6 inches in length and feels rough.

On a positive note, there's no dent and I don't think it's through the paint to the metal. It's in an inconspicuous area (you have to lie down and look from bottom up) but it's still saddening nonetheless . I'm worried about rust more so than aesthetics.

What should I use to smooth the paint if it's possible? I have the original ScratchX but don't think it's strong enough. We have ScratchX 2.0, 3M rubbing compound, and Turtle Wax rubbing compound here

I will post a picture up tomorrow

Re: Finally joined the elite club of those who've backed into a curb

Is it not on a bumper? They are usually plastic?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It's not plastic

Comment

I won't show you the bottom of my Neon bumper......It's whacked more curbs and parking stops than I can count!

It's plastic though and most of the bottom is black from digging through.....

If it's metal.....You could try a touch up aerosol can of paint and touch it up, seen as it's on the bottom, it won't show up and it will be protected.

As far as cleaning up.....Lots of options.....Ultimate Compound, M105, the list is long, try a test spot.....
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Sorry to hear that, i just recently had a small mishap with my truck too. You said it feels rough but not to the metal and knowing how abrasive a cement curb is it sounds like you went through the clear down to the base. But of course, without pics my post means nothing.
          Alex C.

Comment

I had a look at it in daylight and there is actually plastic, which absorbed the brunt of the collision. The rough paint area has a thousand tiny holes exposing the metal

What would be the most economical way to prevent rust? I'm thinking of using a rust inhibitor aerosol spray like Fluid Film or Rust Check

Comment

You can clean it off with some wax and grease remover, then lightly scuff it with 600 grit sand paper, or a scouring pad then spray on some light coats of clear coat.
              If it drys to shiny, then very lightly scuff it again to dull it down...

I won't show you what the under side of the nose of my corvette looks like, it rubs on most gas station entrances.... It's only about 3 inch's off the ground.
              Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
              08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
              98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
              82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

It is possible that doing some masking, and then spraying is the best answer.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');