• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing aluminium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing aluminium...

Hi,

I would like to add aluminium/metal polishing to my services (not just working by hand or powerball and liquid polish anymore)

I saw a kit at a local supply store and would like to try it out. It contains all the compounds bobs, and wheels.

See:

Just wondering if anyone out there is experienced at this type of thing and could give me a run down on the process?

The kit is cheap, and I have bare aluminium rims on my truck that could use a polish, so I was gonna use them to practice on (I'll use the back sides first!!!)

Any info would be GREAT!!!

Re: Polishing aluminium...

Oh, and do you have to use Vienna lime to degrease between each compound or is there another, more readily available method?

Comment

Hopefully Stang Crazy sees this, he's a metal polishing fool () unless it was Tyler:Roushstage2......too many Mustangs, not enough brain to remember!

I'm pretty sure it was Daniel, Stang Crazy, he hangs out on Show Car Detailing too, he used jewlers wheels and what not.
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Not I, lol. I don't see why you would have to degrease between each step, but I'm not the professional here, haha.

Comment

Bump...

Comment

I havent seen many foks using a machine, buffing wheels/pads, stropping, etc around here.

Most of the folks here just use a polish and a terry and be done.

I am not saying you cant get better, but might not be the best place t oask.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Nappers is right. It is Stang Crazy. He does a lot of metal polishing. He would be able to guide you on that. I am just a terry cloth guy when it comes to metal polishing.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyRock-a-roller View Post
                Hi,

I would like to add aluminium/metal polishing to my services (not just working by hand or powerball and liquid polish anymore)

I saw a kit at a local supply store and would like to try it out. It contains all the compounds bobs, and wheels.

See:

Just wondering if anyone out there is experienced at this type of thing and could give me a run down on the process?

The kit is cheap, and I have bare aluminium rims on my truck that could use a polish, so I was gonna use them to practice on (I'll use the back sides first!!!)

Any info would be GREAT!!!
                I have all the items showing in that kit and more.

If you want to polish smooth metal or something that has already been polished this will restore it.

If you want to turn a rough aluminum casting into a polished piece you will need a high speed die grinder and several different grit 3M polishing rolls to make it smooth.

I did this to a intake manifold and it took hours to do it came out looking awesome but I doubt many people would be willing to pay for all those hours of grinding and polishing.
                If you are doing it for your own car then go for it.

Here is the intake that was just a rough gray casting when I started on it.

Black Bart

Comment

I've polished a few items myself and used wet sanding to remove scratches, car polishing compounds of varying abrasiveness as well as aluminum polish to finish them off. Did part by hand and part using both sizes of powerballs. Takes a lot of passes to get them really shiny especially in the nooks and crannies.

That intake looks sick, Black Bart! Nice work!

Here's some street Weld wheels and Mickey Thompson tires (on rear) I sold off my car that will now see drag race duty only (NHRA approved Alumastars 2.0 wheels and M/T slicks). Wet sanded and polished them for him prior to packing and shipping so they would look the way I would want if I were buying them. Looks like the buyer is putting them to good use!

Last edited by 10degreesbtdc; May 31, 2009, 10:52 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                    I have all the items showing in that kit and more.

If you want to polish smooth metal or something that has already been polished this will restore it.

If you want to turn a rough aluminum casting into a polished piece you will need a high speed die grinder and several different grit 3M polishing rolls to make it smooth.

I did this to a intake manifold and it took hours to do it came out looking awesome but I doubt many people would be willing to pay for all those hours of grinding and polishing.
                    If you are doing it for your own car then go for it.

Here is the intake that was just a rough gray casting when I started on it.

Nice work there Bart!

Yeah, I would strictly be doing previously polished parts/wheels. I have no ambition to work on rough cast pieces. I am a detailer and have enough to do as it is. I ll leave that stuff to the dedicated polishing guys.

But If I have someone with polished aluminium parts that need some work, I'd like to be able to do it.

And, yes, a power ball, or a terry rag and some polish will clean up most things, they do little (and are not time effective) on severely neglected parts.

My M/T wheels went through a harsh winter, and came through pretty well considering all the abuse they took. But there is some spotting and oxidization that is really stubborn to get off.

A powerball has little to no effect on them, but does bring back some of the shine to the wheels.

Unfortunately someone swiped some of the stuff out of the kit I got. (the 3 wheels were missing. and the instructons)

What are the order of compounds? Heaviest to finest? I believe I would only use Black, white, and red for aluminium?

Thanks for the replies so far!

Comment

The white is the mild stick and with a good cotton buff you should be able to correct any defects.
                      I always finish with a aluminum polishing creme the stick does not finish all that well.
                      Do a search on the web you can find all kinds of metal polishing equipment.
                      Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');