• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a Volvo that hasn't been washed in 2 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Volvo that hasn't been washed in 2 years

I just bought a 1995 Volvo 850 Sedan. The original owner of the car passed away and the car sat for almost 2 years in his wife's driveway before she decided to sell it.

The car is a beautiful metallic purple but sitting in the driveway in the sun for that long damaged the top. Sun spots are forming all over the top and the paint is fading around the sunroof. I want to slow down this process and possibly bring back more shine to the car.

Are there any special steps that need to be taken before washing/waxing/etc a car that hasn't been maintained for this long? Any advice to avoid more sun damage on the top?

Thanks!
    Kyle

Re: Just bought a Volvo that hasn't been washed in 2 years

It sounds like the top is suffering what's called clear coat failure and if that's the case the only honest fix is to have the affected area repainted or have the entire car repainted.

There's nothing you can pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can that will fix the problem or reverse the problem and for the most part, you can't really slow it down.

Check this thread and look at the pictures and see if any of the pictures look like what you're seeing.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yeah you're right it looks exactly like the pictures in that thread Guess I'm screwed. Will keeping the rest of the car waxed and washed keep the problem from happening in other areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Someguy03 View Post
        the rest of the car waxed and washed keep the problem from happening in other areas?
        Keeping any paint still in good condition washed and waxed will help to preserve it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, you would be surprised how many posts are like this.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well thanks for your help though! I guess I bump my other question which is, is there anything special I should do to the paint because it has been sitting for so long unwashed/unwaxed?

Comment

Mike is absolutely right.

By the way, to MOL!
            Shane
            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Sorry to hear about the cc failure.

Hello and welcome to mol.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');