• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New DA project-Which product now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New DA project-Which product now?

Thanks, Murr1525.

Earlier today, I went with your first suggestion and after taping everything off, finished the rear horizontal surfaces with two apps of UC and followed that with DC2 polish, then two coats of NXT Tech 2, all using DA. It looks far better than I would have ever thought possible and I am still amazed by what that UC/DA can do. Bare in mind, I have been trying ScratchX (old) by hand many times over the last six months and saw very little improvement in the cloudiness and the major defects. Then, lately, ScratchX 2.0 by hand without very good results. But the UC with the new DA made really short work of the clouds and the defects. Amazing stuff when teamed with the DA.

The DA is feeling oh so nice in my hands now after adding six more hours of experience today, lol. A couple of times, I even found myself using just one hand, under the 'D' handle! Tomorrow, I plan to tape off the top and proceed to go over it twice with UC and follow as the trunk was done. That might take two days. Thanks again for all your help, and I will post back how it goes.

Comment

Cozmo, If you think the DA+UC are the BOMB!!! You should try M105+M205+NXT 2.0. I have used this combo on two cars and love it. Check out my son's '02 Mustang... http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33956 Good luck. I hope you find what you like and what works for you.
      RG Curtis
      U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Thanks for that, rgcurtis.

Yeah, I have read a whole lot about the merits of 105/205 and I see that 105 is a bit more aggressive than UC, which in my case would be desirable. The reason I went with UC was because I had some here. Just picked it up at the Walmart one day and had it on hand. After doing a test spot, I was so impressed that...well, I am happy! As someone has said, "If it was any better, I couldn't stand it", haha. Yes, UC is indeed a bomb! In the future, possibly with another car, I may get the opportunity to experience the 105/205. From what I read, it is tops. This old car I am working on is not show car material but the funny thing is, its paint is starting to look a bit like some of the show car finishes I see on here. That is too funny! Whoaaa! Today is 'top day'!

Comment

After doing the horizontal surfaces with UC, I am seeing paint defects that I did not see well/understand before so I decided to go the M105/M205 route over the horizontals again, and probably the rest of the car. One thing is tiny glistening specks that resemble a fine water mist, on a section of the roof, some sanding marks in another area and very hard to remove cloudiness in the hood. Each app of UC, worked with passion, reduces it but more cut is in order if I understand what I have read. It should arrive in a few days or so.

My question now is this: Murr1525 suggested that I go over the UC work with a pure polish since the paint was so old, bad and neglected, which I did, and the results were very good. So, would it be a good thing to do this same procedure after using 105/205? I think it would be, and that the idea was to get some oils back into the old paint, but just want to be sure I am on the right page. DC2 is what I had on hand and used.

Great looking work, rgcurtis! And thanks Murr1525. Things are coming along great and I am having a lot of fun learning things!

Comment

Remember not everything may be able to be removed.... dont want to over do it with UC/#105.

#205 will be a cleaner/polish, so a pure polish after is optional, but in theory, more wont hurt, at least at first.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Got it. Thanks again. One thing I am seeing now that it is very clean, is a wavy looking pattern in the paint which breaks up the reflections. It is not quite like orange peel, but looks more like the surface of water of something like that. In other words, it is not really slick like glass, and the reflection suffers accordingly. I suspect it is a result of improper painting pressure? This is VERY minor now though and it will be interesting to see what M105 does with it. As I said before, each app of UC has reduced it a bit more.

Point taken about where to stop. This will be the final step (105/205) and after that, 'it is what it is'.

Am I correct to assume that the 105 will remove the two coats of NXT already on there over the DC2 & UC? I think I read where Mike had stated that it would not be any problem.

Comment

Yeah, #105 will cut right through it. No need to re-clay, unless it feels rough.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');