• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing Question

Last weekend I waxed my truck with my new NXT liquid wax and G110 with the SB 2.0 finishing pads. I think I used too much.

I would apply some to the pad and try like crazy to prep/prime the pad, didn't work too well. Then I'd set the speed (to 3), put the pad on the paint, and turn it on.

After it seemed like I wasn't getting much hazing going on, I would turn off the DA and hit the pad with an X and do it again. Every other X I would clean the pad on the fly, as best as I could.

I think I used 4 pads on my truck (08 Silverado), the pads seemed kind of heavy, I touched them a few days later and I go a bunch of wax on my hand. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Also, you don't put much pressure on the DA or do many passes when waxing, correct? Thanks again.

Oh, I forgot to add that I think I was able to get about 1/2 of the hood with 1 application on the pad, (6 square feet?).

An amount may help, it seems I used about half the bottle of NXT 2.0 liquid. That was for 2 coats.
    Last edited by brims; May 29, 2009, 09:47 PM.

Re: Waxing Question

It sounds like you used an excessive amount of wax. I can't speak for DA application, but I covered my 06 Trailblazer by hand and used 1/3 to 1/4 of what you did (maybe less hard to judge... I still have an almost full bottle of wax after 1 coat... the level in the bottle is still above the sticker on the front of the bottle if that helps.)

The general consensus with ANY wax/sealant seems to be the thinner the better. When you are applying wax get the coat as thin as possible or you might run into problems removing it.

Edit: I am referring to my bottle of NXT 2.0 good stuff!!!
    Last edited by MarkH; May 29, 2009, 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add i used NXT 2.0

Comment

You should only need one pad to wax the entire truck. You are also using too much wax on your pad. Here is what you should try next time.

Get a clean pad, and put an X on it, rub the x into the pad because the pad will be dry and absent of product, so this is priming the pad. Then put an X or an O on the pad, G110 speed 3, and do half the hood with about 3 passes on it (make sure to do a quick spread of your product across the area you are working on first). Move to the next panel, you should have enough product still on the pad to wax the next panel. You only need very very thin coats. Thick coats of wax just wastes product and does not add anymore protection.

Keep moving to the next panel and test spreading your product until it appears that there isn't wax spreading, then you know to add another X or an O to your pad. Continue waxing panels until it appears you need more. Clean your pad on the fly every 3 or 4 reapplication of wax and push into the pad some to get the product out of it.

Hope this helps

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Another tip would be this. After you put your x or o on the pad. "kiss" the surface with the pad in about 3 or 4 areas of the section you are working on. This helps spread the product out in a even fashion.

It also IMHO helps in using less product and keeping the application of product thin.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ok, next time I wax I will keep these ideas in mind, at least I now know what I did wrong. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');