• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble getting newly painted hood to stay swirl free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble getting newly painted hood to stay swirl free

Hood was recently painted, about 2 months ago now, so I figured the clear has enough time to set.

Hood prep:

-Wash Meguiars NXT Tech Wash w/Cobra MF mitt
    -Dry with Cobra Waffle Weave MF towel

All with PC:
    -M105 LC Orange
    -M80 LC Orange (Also tried Opti-Polish 2 on LC Orange because M80 was giving me a little trouble)

-Wipe with purple Cobra MF

I still have a small amount of swirls, very thin ones. The paint is much better than before, but I can still see alot in the sunlight.

2 Questions:
    -I only did 1 pass with M105 because most of the heavy swirls were pretty much gone. Do I need to compound again?
    -After M80 or Opti-Polish I still saw swirls, so, obviously there is an issue in my 2nd step here, but I really don't know what.

Re: Trouble getting newly painted hood to stay swirl free

Try a couple passes with M205 and see if that clears it up.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

When you say "staying swirl free", are you having trouble removing swirls, or finding that you are putting new ones in?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Switch to a soft foam finishing pad and get some M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          When you say "staying swirl free", are you having trouble removing swirls, or finding that you are putting new ones in?
          Removing swirls.

The M105 gets most of them, but it seem like the ones left don't leave.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Switch to a soft foam finishing pad and get some M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Autogeek, but M205 wasn't one of them. I thought about it though.

I'm going to call the English Color down the street from my house and see if they have any.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');