• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with products for swirls and scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with products for swirls and scratches

I need to remove swirl marks and light scratches from my black car. What product would work best for me? I really want to get the swirls and scratches out....should I buy the clay kit, SwirlX or scratchX?

Re: I need help with products for swirls and scratches

You will need to clay before you can try to remove swirls. So you should buy the clay kit and probably Swirl X and Ultimate Compound. If Swirl X doesn't remove the swirls, then you can step up to UC and finish with Swirl X if you like. After you're done, you can top with the wax or sealant of your choice. Hope this helps!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

May I suggest that you purchase the claybar kit, SwirlX, and Ultimate Compound. Claying your car periodically is simply good detailing practice. Claying will not remove swirls and scratches, but it will remove contaminants and prepare the surface for polishing and waxing.

SwirlX and UC are Meguiar's consumer-line polishes that are designed to remove swirls and scratches. Which one is best for your car and its particular paint system can only be determined by doing a TEST SPOT. You may find that SwirlX will remove your swirls. If not, you will then have to move up to Ultimate Compound.

Polishing a car by hand is hard and long work. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time. You will need some foam applicators and plenty of good microfiber towels.

If you have not already done so, please read these articles:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

Also check out this recent thread: Help with Swirls ...

Cheers,
      Al
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Thanks guys for your help! I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Oh also, what would be good to do after all that before the final wax?

Comment

Originally posted by lazarc1204 View Post
            Oh also, what would be good to do after all that before the final wax?
            Well, you can use a pure polish if you'd like, such as DC2 Polish or M07 Show Car Glaze. However, that step is completely optional. If you want to use a polish, work very small sections (for example, a door would be split up into 3 - 4 sections), work the product in for a few seconds, and then immediately remove. DO NOT LET THE POLISH DRY. After you do that, wait about 15 - 20 minutes to allow the polish to bond to the paint, and then go ahead and wax. But, as I mentioned, the polish step is completely optional. You can do it or you can skip it, it's completely up to you.
            Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Here is a possible process for you:

1) Wash
              2) Clay
              3) Polish (SwirlX and/or Ultimate Compound)
              4) Glaze or pure polish--e.g., Deep Crystal Polish or #7 (optional step)
              5) Wax (NXT is the popular choice here on MOL)

I personally would skip step #4 at this point. You can add it in later after you have corrected your paint. As I said, it's hard and long work. Keep your process as simple as possible.

Good luck and have fun!

Al
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Can you post a picture????
                RG Curtis
                U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Definitely read through this one,

Help with Swirls ...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks guys, I will def. try to post a picture!

Comment

Hey also, What is the difference between Cleaner Wax and the new NXT wax? And is there real a big difference between the clay for and liquid form?

Comment

Info taken from ADS:

Cleaner Wax
                        Meguiar's Cleaner Wax Liquid is Meguiar’s most versatile, one step wax. It's specially formulated to produce eye-dazzling results on all finishes. Rich conditioning oils and legendary gentle cleaning ability make it an excellent choice for daily drivers exposed to the elements. For best results, use our Even-Coat Applicator to apply Cleaner Wax and a Supreme Shine Microfiber or Ultra Plush Super Terry for removal.

NXT 2.0
                        Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 is a scientific breakthrough that introduces a new dimension of gloss and protection. This new and improved formula produces unbelievably deep, vibrant color and a dramatically clear wet-look. Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ provides relentless water beading and protection against oxidation, corrosion, UV rays and surface degradation. “Hydrophobic” means “water-fearing” and this new breakthrough technology builds such incredible protection and surface tension that water beads up and just glides off your paint finish, wash after wash!
                        Shane

Comment

Ok, thanks...sorry im new to all of this. Is the clay form better than the liquid? Or is it just preference?

Comment

Several of Meguiar's waxes, particularly in the consumer line, are available in both liquid and paste forms. Which one you go with is personal preference. To get an idea of what folks here on MOL like and why, check out this thread:

Liquid or Paste Wax?
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');