• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tree sap/etched clear coat 2008 Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tree sap/etched clear coat 2008 Honda

Ok.. I made a HUGE mistake.. parked the new car under the tree.not yet waxed ........ a couple hot days - springtime sap.... now there are little etched circles in my clear coat.. HELP!! Polishing compound wont touch it~!

Re: tree sap/etched clear coat 2008 Honda

Claying might remove them. There is a thread here which was given to me by Mike..I'll need to look for it.

If you give me a mo...Right i've found it.(Actually it was Mark).

You mentioned etching,so i don't know if this applies,but it's worth a go if it's like really stuck in well:Also it mentions 'bugs', but would apply to tree saps aswell: It's worth a go and you wouldn't be doing any damage:

I hope to have a video up very soon (still editing) that will show what I am about to say, but it is pretty simple.

Fill a bucket with your traditional car wash and water (use warm water if possible), and then drop a few microfiber towels into the bucket.

Make sure the vehicle is cool to the touch, and working in shade (preferably in a garage).

Take the towels out of the car wash solution and lay them flat on the hood and over the front of the car. Let it soak for a minute or more if possible. Then gently pick them up, put them in the bucket and move it around a bit... and repeat.

After you soak the areas covered in bugs, go back with a quick detailer spray of choice. Even though UQD isn't really a cleaning spray, on relatively fresh bugs it works great. For old stuck on stuff I would stick to Last Touch or NXT Speed Detailer. Then gently wipe everything away while using the QD as a lubricating agent.

I just did it 3 times and it worked like a charm every time.

*The bonus to this method is that it should eliminate the need to scrub, and thus eliminate one of the major sources of swirls. The bugs should fall off after soaking.
    Last edited by Eddie6th; Jun 8, 2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

First make sure that the paint is etched. Try clay. If that doesn't work try iso alcohol (the stuff in a can from the hardware store) and then mineral spirits. If none of these work you are in for a some serious paint correction. Sorry.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by benindavis View Post
        Ok.. I made a HUGE mistake.. parked the new car under the tree.not yet waxed ........ a couple hot days - springtime sap.... now there are little etched circles in my clear coat.. HELP!! Polishing compound wont touch it~!
        What kind of polishing compound did you use? Try claying, and if that doesn't help, try Scratch X 2.0 or Swirl X. If neither of those work, you may have to bump up to Ultimate Compound. Then follow up with a quality wax.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Here is what I have tried. Tried alcohol.. rubbing alcohol..( Ive been drinking the other stuff all along) Tried mineral spirits.. ie paint thinner. I have used Turtle Wax polishing compound. All of these things I have tried by hand. I have no power device at the moment.
          Yes the paint is actually etched . I have successfully removed the tree sap itself that was pretty easy actually .. The damage it has done to the clear coat is the issue here.

Comment

Where in California do you live? There are a lot of MOL members in CA that I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out. Sounds to me like the paint is going to have to be buffed. You can try using Ultimate Compound by hand, but if it's all over the car, I'm not sure you're going to want to do the whole thing by hand.
            Shane
            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Welcome to MOL benindavis.

You wouldn't happen to live in Davis would you? And your name Ben? Turtle wax polishing compound is not what you're looking for. That'd be more suitable as a follow-up after something like turtle wax rubbing compound. Pics of the etching would be great, but i'm certain Megs has the right product for you.
              Alex C.

Comment

I might look into wet sanding if I were you (I don't really know anything about wet sanding, mind you). I put in 9 hours on a friend's 06 Tundra and it had a few clearcoat issues where bird goo or sap was left to etch itself into the clear, and those blemishes just laughed at my 105 and 205 with the G110.

Comment

Originally posted by benindavis View Post
                  Here is what I have tried. Tried alcohol.. rubbing alcohol..( Ive been drinking the other stuff all along) Tried mineral spirits.. ie paint thinner. I have used Turtle Wax polishing compound. All of these things I have tried by hand. I have no power device at the moment.
                  Yes the paint is actually etched . I have successfully removed the tree sap itself that was pretty easy actually .. The damage it has done to the clear coat is the issue here.
                  okay.just wanted to be sure.was actually etched.

Comment

Bring your car by one of our next Thursday Night "Open Garage" classes and we'll show you how to fix the problem.

Thursday Night "Open Classes" for 2009
                    2009 Thursday Night "Open Garage" Schedule
                    Next up...
                    June
                    June 18th - Thursday Night "Open Class" - Click here to sign-up

Note: June 18th is an Extreme Makeover Night as we will be finishing the paint restoration on this 1959 Nash Metropolitan with an oxidized single stage enamel paint job.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the invite to the Open Garage.......... but.. 7 hours is a long drive bro!

Comment

So you do live in Davis!? I didn't want to make any assumptions but i kinda figured that looking at your user name. Yay, i win!
                        Alex C.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');