• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White paint

Just bought a 2009 Ford Edge. Tri-coat white. Looks awesome and want to keep it that way. Any advice?

M C

Re: White paint

I did the following by my own hands for 8 hr 15 min

Wash (2 buckets without grit guard)

Clay (I used whole bottle of quick detailer)

Swirl X and Ultimate Compound (2 applications)

Crystal Polisher

NXT Wax 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by hsia914 View Post
      I did the following by my own hands for 8 hr 15 min

Wash (2 buckets without grit guard)

Clay (I used whole bottle of quick detailer)

Swirl X and Ultimate Compound (2 applications)

Crystal Polisher

NXT Wax 2.0
      sounds good. did you use Ultimate Compound before SwirlX?
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

good luck broda. I just got my first white car...spent almost 10hrs making it perfect and two weeks later black spots and rust spots here and there. its not to bad. just keep it washed and waxed. last week i washed it in the rain just to get the gunk off it so it wouldnt leave any spots.

I guess its the trade off; black and rust spots for swirls in darker paint.

Comment

I may have to switch from NXT 2.0 to cleaner wax as my regular 2-3 week waxing?

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
            I may have to switch from NXT 2.0 to cleaner wax as my regular 2-3 week waxing?
            Do you mind sharing what advantages you would get?
            Thanks

Comment

My sister just bought the same thing, here's a couple before and after shots:

Afters... (late afternoon, lacked good sun, sorry)

Process: Wash, clay (consumer and blue, I had a guy shadowing me), and then some rotary M205 and G110 M66 on a finishing pad. Then I went over that with a layer of UQW.

I used APC to clean the leather, treated with D180, and then Hyper Dressing on the wheel wells and tires.

Only took 6 hours. It was in good shape to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                sounds good. did you use Ultimate Compound before SwirlX?
                I used UC before SwirlX.

But there still some swirls left...

I don't think I will be able to spend another 8 hours on my car this weekend.

Comment

I'd recommend using a good wash on cool paint. Dry it with a Meguiars water magnet.

Then clay bar the vehicle with the Megs smooth surface clay kit. From there examine the paint and do a test spot to see if your process gives the results you want.

Good luck!
                  -James
                  2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The after shots look great.

MC

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
                      Do you mind sharing what advantages you would get?
                      Thanks
                      it is sort of like deep cleaning the paint, gets all the grime and stuff off. Is a good idea, I am planning on doing the same thing to keep my super white corolla maintained once I do a buffing/polishing session on it.

there is a good link alkimel has that he made with al sorts of good stuff in it that I cant find right now. When I do I will post it
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

MC, check out this article: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.

Key points:

1) Wash your car using the two bucket method. You want to learn how to wash your car without producing new swirls. Watch this video:

2) Periodically use a cleaner wax, either by itself or in conjunction with your preferred wax, to clean the paint. See this article: In Praise of Cleaner Wax. One of these products would be appropriate for this purpose: Cleaner Wax, ColorX, and M20 Polymer Sealant.

You can, of course, get more ambitious, but the method described in the Daily Driver article would be a good place for you to begin.

Cheers,
                        Al
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

yes cleaner wax really cleans the paint. it will erase all those black spots (tar) very easily. Also cleaner wax is very cheap and in my experience very durable and long lasting

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');