• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Use #7 & #9 Properly ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Use #7 & #9 Properly ?

About to start my project with my DA
    I have chosen for my 2009 Black Ford Focus.

#9 to start
    #7 to Polish
    and # 21 to wax , but adding # 26 for added Protection

Where can I find how to use these products properly.

I wish there was a forum listing on each product and how to use each product.

Can some one point me in the right direction

Re: How to Use #7 & #9 Properly ?

Hope this helps. I copied and pasted only the relevant information here.

How to use #9 (from Auto Detailing Solutions)
    For use in the shade on a cool surface. Do not apply to vinyl or rubber surfaces. Work one section at a time. If applying by hand, use a clean, dry, quality 100% cotton terry cloth towel or foam applicator. Work product until nearly dry. Use a Meguiar’s Ultimate Wipe (M9910) or a clean towel, to wipe off excess.

How to use #7 (from Auto Detailing Solutions)
    For use in the shade on a cool surface. Do not apply to vinyl or rubber surfaces. Dispense product SPARINGLY onto a clean, dry, quality, 100% cotton terry cloth towel, foam applicator or polishing pad. Work one section at a time. Using light pressure, spread the product evenly over the surface. Do not allow product to dry. Use a clean towel to wipe dry and buff to a deep gloss finish.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

sounds like you have a good product selection. You may want to wash and clay first. But M09 is a very gentle cleaner/polish. When your using it with the D.A and your goal is to remove swirls and scratches then you would want to use something like a SoftBuff 2.0 Polishing Pad at Speed 4 or 5. Work small areas and wipe off the product immediatly afterwards. Also be sure to not buff too long and go to a dry buff.

Use M07 Show Car Glaze with a Soft buff 2.0 Finishing pad on speed 3 and work it in then wipe it off immediatly.

Then you can apply your waxes with the D.A or by hand.

What D.A are you using?
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Im Using a Porter and Cable DA

Good info thanks Guys

How long do you work the product and when do you know it is time to stop working it

Comment

Marine Toys,

Both Tuck91 and ClearSL have it right. But why are you uisng Meguiar's "old stuff"? IMO, their new products work so much better and are so much easier to use. I looked at your earlier posts and found that you are not very fond of NXT. I have used NXT almost exclusively since it came out. I used to top it with a pure carnuba wax but found that the results were not much better than just NXT and this was on a black Dodge Ram.

I'm an "old guy" who began using Meguiar's products in the early 1970's. I have used them all -- #3, #5, #7, #9,#9, #80,#82, #83 topped with #16, #20, or #26 and that's probably not all. I'm even quite found of the burgundy bottle cleaner/wax.

I have found that a careful application of ColorX followed by an application of NXT is about as good as it gets. If you want to top NXT with something quick and easy that gives a great "deep look" try S100 Carnuba Wax. You can find it a any Harley Davidson dealership. It's not long lasting but is a "piece of cake" to apply and it will make black "pop".

I'm not being critical of your plans. I'm simply offering advice from what I have found in over fifty years of waxing and detailing.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Toys View Post
            Im Using a Porter and Cable DA

Good info thanks Guys

How long do you work the product and when do you know it is time to stop working it
            as soon as the product starts to look like a translucent film and when worked in properly it will be easy to wipe off.

also be sure not too use too much product and clean your pad often too.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Marine Toys, what is your objective?

#9 is the mildest of Meguiar's cleaner/polishes. Do not expect it to remove many swirls and scratches with a DA--basically it will function as a paint cleaner and finishing polish for you. If you want to correct your paint, you might want to consider the new consumer-line polishes (SwirlX and Ultimate Compound) or M80 and M83.

Work #9 just as you would work #80. Work it until it the diminishing abrasives break down but remove while still damp. Check out these threads:

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

Like #7, #9 is rich in Meguiar's Trade Secret Oils. You will not need, therefore, to apply a pure polish after you have applied #9. You can, of course, do so, but you probably will not notice a difference. #9 will leave behind a nice touch of wetness. I understand that when applied with a rotary as a finishing polish, #9 is the cat's meow.

Also check out these threads:

M09 & M80 Equivalent?

#82 Swirl Free Polish vs #9 Swirl Remover

What's the difference between #9 #82 and #80

Good luck!

Cheers,
              Al
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                Marine Toys, what is your objective?
                l

Correct question.

As Al said, M09 is our lightest cut cleaner/polish, if the goal is to remove swirls and scratches out of a factory baked on clear coat, especially if they're not just light or shallow defects then M09 might not be aggressive enough.

The short answer to your questions however are,

M09 because it's a cleaner/polish and we assume you're using to to remove defect then you need to work this product against the finish in order to get the diminishing abrasives to abrade and remove a little paint.

After the above cleaning step is done, assuming you're happy with the results, then there's no need to work the M07 against the finish in the same way as now you're not trying to abrade the finish and remove defects but are instead trying to maximize the gloss, clarity and depth. For this you simply apply and work over the paint for 2-3 passes by hand or machine over each square inch and then wipe off the residue.

You would never let either of the two products dry as that would just make wipe-off more difficult.

Truth is there's enough polishing oils in the M09 that you probably wont' see major difference between the results left by the M09 and what the M07 will do, might as well go to wax after the M09.

Not sure where you're at with your project but no matter what products you end up using be sure to do a Test Spot first and make sure you can make one small area look good before going over the entire car.

TEST SPOT

How to do a Test Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');