• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

refinishing vs wetsanding and polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refinishing vs wetsanding and polishing

I recently installed and painted ABS plastic hoodscoops on my 2008 Dodge Dakota.For the most part they came out good.What is the best way to shine them up.I did apply clearcoat but some sections look orange peelish..should I wetsand and polish or wetsand and re apply clearcoat?Any advice wouyld be appreciated,and what grit sandpaper should be used.I currently have 1200 grit...Thanks.....Dave from New England

Re: refinishing vs wetsanding and polishing

can you post some pics so we can see what you are working with? Would make suggestions a little easier
    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Some pics would help. Probably sanding down gently,then polishing should even it off a little.

Comment

Wetsand the orange peal out
        CC if you go through the CC.

Comment

Originally posted by humpee316 View Post
          I recently installed and painted ABS plastic hoodscoops on my 2008 Dodge Dakota.For the most part they came out good.What is the best way to shine them up.I did apply clearcoat but some sections look orange peelish..should I wetsand and polish or wetsand and re apply clearcoat?Any advice wouyld be appreciated,and what grit sandpaper should be used.I currently have 1200 grit...Thanks.....Dave from New England
          Hi Dave,

Before we jump into recommendations how much experience do you have with wetsanding ?

In additon, what / how was it painted ?

Mike
          Mike Pennington
          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
          Meguiar's, Inc.
          800-854-8073
          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
            Hi Dave,

Before we jump into recommendations how much experience do you have with wetsanding ?

In additon, what / how was it painted ?

Mike
            I totally agree! We need to know your background for wet sanding and what tools and products you have for removing the sanding marks. It would be foolhardy for anyone to suggest sanding without knowing your background first.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hello Mike,and thank you for responding to my inquiry.The best way to have it done was to bring them to a body shop,but that wasnt in the budget.So I ordered an aerosol can of OEM Paint from a company called Microfinish out of Louisiana,Just sent them the finish code and they custom make the paint.The surface was prepared with a clear adhesion promoting primer,I then applied three coats of spray basecoat,and an additional 3 coats of clearcoat.I was on the last coat of clear when the spray was coming out it sort of spit out making it look orange peelish in a few areas.Thats when I stopped ,avoiding screwing it up further.any advice would be appreciated

Comment

Hi,I gathered that by your first thread,that you did the work yourself.Yes,clearcoat can be a bit difficult to control.

Can we see some pics to determine how much orange peel there is?

Comment

I just love passive agressive people

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                    I just love passive agressive people
                    I think you meant "passive aggressive"?

I am not sure who or what that is about, but hopefully it is all worked out now. (Get it? Passive Aggressive = All worked out now in a timely fashion. )

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Tom,I think the fella must've done his work,somehow?

By the way......Nice photos you took,posted in the break room.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');