• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Wax for 2nd Coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Wax for 2nd Coat?

I did the 5-step detailing job 4-5 weeks ago (Wash - Clay - DC1 - DC2 - Synthetic Sealant V1.0 - Synthetic Sealant V1.0).

I just washed and waxed my car with Cleaner Wax earlier today. My car surface is very smooth now, thanks to the claying last time.

I am deciding which wax to use as 2nd coat:
    Products I have:
    1. NXT V2.0
    2. Yellow Wax
    3. Synthetic Sealant V1.0
    4. Cleaner Wax

Re: Which Wax for 2nd Coat?

Either NXT 2.0 or M26 will make for a nice 2nd coat.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Hi mis.i normally just use one coat and it lasts a long time.But there is no harm putting a second coat.

Just keep on top of it with QD or UQD after every wash,and it'll last a long time.

Comment

Forgot to mention, my car is silver and the paint is in very good condition.

Comment

I've only used the same product for topping.
          This was when I used to show cars.
          But last month I toped NXT with 26 last month and it was good.
          This month I just used 26 and I looks better then when I use NXT, but there still is NXT on my paint.
          But just try 26 and if you want top NXT with 26 and you'll like it.

Comment

I topped some Cleaner Wax off with Gold Class paste and it looked nice.
            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
            Calais Auto Detailing
            CalaisDetails@aim.com
            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
              Forgot to mention, my car is silver and the paint is in very good condition.
              Well, my proclivities to "topping" a sealant with a carnauba on silvers, paints with heavy metallic flake content, and whites are well known. I am looking for a particular "look" on these paints and prefer the muted gloss of a carnauba topper to the colder, more sterile, candy-coated sheen of a sealant.

Looking at your list...and if we're sticking to just those...I would offer a few suggestions. If you like the look of the surface now, go with a second coat of the same product. Two thin coats provides for the best overall coverage and insures all areas are effectively protected.

If you're dead-set on topping with another product on the list toss out the cleaner wax. Cleaner waxes conatin chemical cleaners designed to remove mild oxidation and film build on the surface of the paint...in other words it'll more than likely remove the layer of wax underneath.

I'd personally go with a product like Pinnacle Signature Series II but if I had to choose from the list I'd recommend a layer of the M26 Yellow Wax. You can experiment a bit and try different toppers over the next few times you wax and see which look you prefer in various lighting conditions and decide on what looks best to you...

Comment

What do you recommend for a red metallic X sport? Sorry for the hijack.
                09 Ford Explorer Limited AWD

Comment

I topped my NXT with some DC3 Carnauba wax the next day. Turned out great. Point is, you can use anything and it will be great.

Comment

I like the Gold Class paste wax, think it's just as good if not better than the NXT

Comment

Originally posted by trailblazer295 View Post
                      What do you recommend for a red metallic X sport? Sorry for the hijack.
                      Wax recommendations are hard because in the end it's what looks good to your eyes that counts. Metallic paints are especially "owner dependent" when it comes to waxes. How do you like your metallic flake to appear? Glowing, muted, and reserved? Or sharp, popping, and crystal-clear? The answer to that question will determine which way to go...

If you want a warm, glowing effect at night and more of the base color to come thru during direct sunlight then go with your choice of carnauba. This will mute the flake and add depth and liquidity. If you want razor-sharp reflections, each and every flake to shine thru, and lots of light reflectivity than go with a synthetic sealant. It gives the paint surface that "dipped" or candy-coated sheen many people like.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                        Wax recommendations are hard because in the end it's what looks good to your eyes that counts. Metallic paints are especially "owner dependent" when it comes to waxes. How do you like your metallic flake to appear? Glowing, muted, and reserved? Or sharp, popping, and crystal-clear? The answer to that question will determine which way to go...

If you want a warm, glowing effect at night and more of the base color to come thru during direct sunlight then go with your choice of carnauba. This will mute the flake and add depth and liquidity. If you want razor-sharp reflections, each and every flake to shine thru, and lots of light reflectivity than go with a synthetic sealant. It gives the paint surface that "dipped" or candy-coated sheen many people like.
                        Which is NXT 2.0 more like?

Comment

Originally posted by trailblazer295 View Post
                          Which is NXT 2.0 more like?
                          NXT 2.0 is a synthetic selant. It's a great choice to make the metallic flake really "pop" and stand out and offers one of the most durable finishes of any LSP.

Comment

Great to hear, it sounds like the type of look im going for. Picked up some last week but haven't gotten around to waxing my car yet with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');