• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rained shortly after applying #21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rained shortly after applying #21

Heya!

Applied meguiars sealant #21 to car. 15 minutes later it starts to rain (didn't see it coming). It continues to rain for about 5 minutes then stops. Rain drops sitting on my hood so i figure i will wipe them off to dry the hood.

The mixture of the sealant along with possible acidy rain has created a film on my hood after trying to wipe off the water. It's very gritty and extremely hard, and it looks horrible! There are spots where the drops of rain sat until my attempt to dry the hood up. I've tried cleaner wax, klasse aio, dawn...the only thing that seems to be working is clay (incredibly slowly at that). At this pace if i try to clay the entire hood to remove the grit i estimate it will take around 4-5 hours to get it looking reasonable.

I can post a picture later but anyone know of a quicker solution?

first post!

Re: rained shortly after applying #21

When you run into situations like this, Meguiar's recommends "use the product to remove the product" so to speak. Re-apply #21 and then go back and remove it. I think that would be the easiest route.

By the way, to MOL!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

The fact that you used the word "gritty" greatly worries (and confuses) me. There is absolutely positively nothing in M21 that would give off a gritty feel.

There must be something else in the equation that we are missing here.

Is there a chance the towels you used to dry the hood were dirty?

Any chance you can take and post some pictures so we can better assess the situation?

Comment

In another thread, I think Bounty used DC1 cleaner wax to remove water spots after it rained following an M205 polishing.

Comment

Ouch! Neither Cleaner Wax nor KAIO can get it off? I'd call Customer Service right away and get their help.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

I definitely used a clean microfiber to dry the hood. I also did try to use #21 again to see if i could remove the film. did not work

I'm also confused about the grit! I can't admit everything i do is perfect so i'm sure there is a chance in some way i may have done some cross contamination. The hood was the only part of the car i attempted to remove the rain from. After noticing what had happened i was not about to touch anything else , rest of the car is fine lol.

i will absolutely post a pic after work. Thanks all for your replies!

Comment

mystery solved, i am the culprit. I blame this on the fact that during this time of year sam adams releases their seasonal brew: summer ale. it's delicious.

after applying the 21 my car sat outside of my buddies garage. rain had nothing to do with anything. Inside the garage my buddy was painting, garage door was 75% shut. I have overspray from jet black base coat, and overspray from clear coat my buddy was using to paint his car.

obviously i should have moved my car knowing he would be painting after my detail. But now i get to learn something new and drink more summer ale while i do it

thanks to everyone!

for the record meguiars #20 and 21 are both amazing products!

Comment

Better bust out some clay right away and get the paint off.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');