• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber Towel Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber Towel Selection

I have a bunch of the Costco MF towels but have been reading around and have noticed there are other types of MF towels, deep nap, short nap, etc. I realize that certain surfaces might require a different towel to get the right effect. Like a short nap towel for glass.

So I'm wondering if this is just hype from companies like Cobra or if there is truth to this. If this is legit, what should I be looking for? I'm looking at Cobra and Meguiar's but I don't see any specs on Meg's towels. I was thinking the waffle weave glass towels for glass, maybe the deluxe jr 600 for quick detailing, guzzler waffle weave for drying, the arctic miracle for removing the polish, cleaner, and wax after DA application, some all purpose for the wheels and wheel wells. Any input would be great. Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just get 1 or 2 types of towels. Thanks.

Re: Microfiber Towel Selection

I just got back from Costco. There's the 3 piece MF towel with a wash mit for less than $6. The towels feel just as smooth as Meguiar's towels.

Comment

Well, there are different kinds, and different costs.

I have a bunch from Target (Vroom) ones that are a short nap, but since they are cheap I use them for dirty areas, interiors, glass, etc.

The waffle weave ones like the Water Magnet are generally for drying.

Some companies make glass specific towels that usually have no nap, but I have never really liked them.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I can feel a big difference bewtween the Costco Microfibers and Supreme Shine Microfibers.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I would just stick with the Meg's SS Micros.Everyone here uses them and doesn't have any bother.For what they cost,and you get a long life out them.

I wouldn't bother with cheap unknowns.They might seem like a good buy,but it's a risk.

I do have some cheap ones,but I use them on dirty areas,even around engine bays,But they never touch the bodywork,as Murr said.

Comment

I also would like to know about the quality of some of these. But I think it may just be a trial and error thing.

I bought a 10 pack at Wal Mart, they seem to work just fine. But if I notice scratches I'll demote them to other parts of the car. For now I go by convenience, and I really like the small size these Wal Mart ones come in.

Comment

I've used lots of the Costco specials..hey with you get something like 30 for $20 (I think its even better deal than that)...even if you only use them once or twice its a good price. I've never had an issue but by comparison have never used the Meguiar's towels. So maybe I don't know what I am missing.

Comment

I'll just order up a set of Meg's Supreme Shine then.

The Costco ones seem to work alright, but it's the only thing I know, I figure there has to be something that works better than these. Sometimes when drying I have to go over it more than I feel I should even using 2 for drying the same spot.

Also I don't like the little tiny fibers the Costco ones leave on the glass, it gets pretty annoying.

Maybe I'll order up a water magnet for the fun of it.

Comment

Might like to try out an Ultimate Wipe as well.

Comment

If you order from ADS, it's worth the extra $$ to get a 10-pack of microfibers with your order. The ADS micros run you less than $1 each and are pretty versatile.
                    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I second ADS and the ultimate wipes
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

My next order will include a Meg's WM to try out, a 36 pack of Meg's SS, probably a 12 pack of the ultimate wipes. And then I think I'm going to sample some of the detailer line products. This is another expensive hobby. Oh well, keeps me out of trouble.

Comment

I like it.... just get 49 towels all at once and get it over with....

Comment

Ya, I wouldn't want to run out half way through drying my truck or something. Just washing, drying, and UQWing my truck I use probably 8 MF towels. I don't want to buy just a couple of towels and wash them all the time. Sometimes I wash my mom's Jeep or she does it herself and uses my stuff. She goes through at least a dozen towels just drying somehow. With more towels they will each get fewer uses and last longer.

I have probably 80 Costco MF towels, not sure why I don't have closer to 100, 3 packs * 36 = 108. Maybe someone ate them, who knows. I have that many for the above reasons. Then I'm not pressured into washing them right away, I can wash them when I get a full load.

Plus buying 36 instead of 3 they are a lot cheaper per towel, so I save money by spending money. Ya, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

ADS has the all purpose towels 16x16 for .99cents a piece. I have 70 of the gold ones.
                              2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                              2005 Honda CRF250R
                              2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');