• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard toyota clear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard toyota clear?

Do Toyotas typically have a pretty hard clear coat? I tried #205 first with no results, then UC with no change and finally #83, again......nothing. All products applied with a megs polishing pad and a G110. Any suggestions. I figured the range of products would have done something for me. I worked each product for a total of three passes over each square inch with medium pressure then three more with just the weight of the machine.

Just for your info it was a 2004 4Runner.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Re: Hard toyota clear?

One thing I would suggest is using a black permanent marker to put some lines on the back of the pad so that you can see how fast the pad is rotating. Then you can keep adding pressure until the pad reaches a point where it is still making rotations, but has maximum pressure.

If it still will not work with Ultimate Compound then you may need to step up to some M105. The M105 will have roughly twice the cutting ability as the UC.

As for knowing how "hard" the clear coat is, it is very difficult to make a generalization because there is a lot of room for variation. Factories can sometimes switch brands with the same color and not make any note of it, so we try to avoid saying "Brand X is soft/hard" etc.

Comment

thanks for the advice. I will try the 105.
      Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Rthario View Post
        thanks for the advice. I will try the 105.

I just detailed an 05 Lexus with UC and a LC Orange pad , toyota/lexus suppose to have soft clear coat. But I dont know about yours.

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

From my experience Toyota seem to have paint in the middle, not soft or hard. It seems to vary. My Lexus has very hard paint though.
          Matt

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');