• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining the paint in your engine bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining the paint in your engine bay?

I currently own a beautiful 1993 Lexus SC 400 with daimond white pearl paint. The car has extremely low miles and is in overall excellent condition. I wish to "clean up" the engine bay a bit. The bay is painted the same color as the car and shows dirt very easily and is marred by some light grease and what seems to be spillage from the battery. I have tried some rubbing compound followed by some NXT with relatively good results but was wondering if there is a better way to tackle this job.

My expectations are realistic, I believe. i do not expect the paint inside the engine bay to look the same as the car exterior. What I would like is to clean up what I can and give the bay some paint protection against future attacks. BTW, the bay is extremely cramped Iits a V8) and I cannot get my PC 7424 in there at all so it looks like a hand job (no pun intended).

Thanks to all who even consider replying to my post ...

Re: Maintaining the paint in your engine bay?

If a good cleaning is not enough for you I would consider using an AIO product like A12 Cleaner Wax or similar

Comment

I have had great results with APC+ mixed at 4:1 for heavy grease or 10:1 for light grease, followed by cleaner wax. The cleaner wax does a great job of pulling the rest of the grime out of the paint.

Comment

After you've cleaned it up a bit,you can polish what you can,and it can look just as good as the rest of your car.Quite often,you find there is no clear coat in the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
          After you've cleaned it up a bit,you can polish what you can,and it can look just as good as the rest of your car.Quite often,you find there is no clear coat in the engine bay.
          Exactly. Not sure how Lexus operates, but I'd be willing to guess that the engine bay is not clear coated. However, having the paint in there grease free really tricks the eye.
          -James
          2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

I agree. Clean up the bay with some APC. Then hit it with the A12 cosumer cleaner wax. It should look a lot better.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for the tips. If you guessed that there is no clear coat ... you are correct. The paint is in good shape but definitely not clearcoated.

If anyone would be so kind to tell me what APC is and where I can purchase A12 cleaner wax I would greatly appreciate it.

I have Meguiers Speed Glaze 80 and NXT 2.0 if they can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by dud View Post
                If anyone would be so kind to tell me what APC is and where I can purchase A12 cleaner wax I would greatly appreciate it.

I have Meguiers Speed Glaze 80 and NXT 2.0 if they can be used.
                APC - All Purpose Cleaner. It is part of the Detailer Line and available in 32oz bottles to 55 gallon drums. It can be on used on a large assortment of surfaces, especially interior. You can get pretty much anything Meguiar's from autodetailinsolutions.com.

I haven't a clue, I would feel funny using most products in my engine bay. The only thing that I know is okay for engine bays is Hyper-Dressing. I would wait for a more detailer on this one.
                James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                Calais Auto Detailing
                CalaisDetails@aim.com
                www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by dud View Post
                  My expectations are realistic, I believe. i do not expect the paint inside the engine bay to look the same as the car exterior. What I would like is to clean up what I can and give the bay some paint protection against future attacks. BTW, the bay is extremely cramped Iits a V8) and I cannot get my PC 7424 in there at all so it looks like a hand job (no pun intended).

Thanks to all who even consider replying to my post ...
                  Here's a few quick links to the process and procdure involved in both full engine details and "quickie" waterless maintenance details of engine bays I have done:

Waterless...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...145#post332145

Full engine details...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...966#post315966

If you feel the need to remove oxidation, haxing, or defects from the engine bay paint surface you can use an over-the-counter product like Ultimate Compound by hand. Since your car is painted white I'd suggest a product like DC-1 Paint Cleaner to remove contaminants and prepare the surface to accept wax if you don't want to hassle with compounding.

Hope this helps...

Comment

i used to know a guy who pulled his whole engine out when he bought the car just to detail the engine bay...

dedication!
                    2007 Flint Mica Scion tC

Comment

Nice Lexus

I love to use Super Degreaser for engine bays. Then Follow up with APC or APC+
                      Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');