• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting the truth about Chamois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting the truth about Chamois

I've read a lot on here that everyone uses a WM's to dry there cars. Is that a better approach than using a natural chamois? What's the reasoning behind it?

Re: getting the truth about Chamois

Ok, my $ 0.02.

A chamois is an oil tanned skin with little nap and average water absorbing ability. They dry hard as they lose their oils and begin to degrade. They need periodic re-oiling to remain flexible and resist shedding and degradation. The oil in the skin frequently leaves itself on the paint, especially when new or recently re-oiled. They leave too much water on the surface. They require too aggressive surface contact with the paint.

If you wash your car outside, the paint surface will pick-up airborn dust particles as you begin to dry it. The shallow nap of a chamois can cause these particles to swirl the paint. The deeper nap of a WWMF does a better job of pulling these dust particles up and into the nap and avoiding some swirls.

The waffle-weave microfiber has much deeper nap which helps it to hold a lot more water than a chamois as well. WWMF's tend to wipe dryer with less aggressive surface contact with the paint. They last a long time and only require regular washing and a rinse with vinegar to remain highly absorbent.

IMHO, a WWMF is safer and more effective than a chamois.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

I prefer The Absorber to most other drying tools. I've yet to try using a leaf blower, but I've heard great things.
      Chamois not only require more pressure on the paint than I'm comfortable with, but they also tend to strip wax through their use.
      I want to try Meg's Waffle Weave Microfibers, but I can't find them locally and hate paying shipping. I've heard that they're great. Chamois are just really outdated...
      If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll have to order some water magnets as no one carries them locally.

Comment

I was never a fan of the chamois for some of the reasons listed above.
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Justin A View Post
            I want to try Meg's Waffle Weave Microfibers, but I can't find them locally and hate paying shipping. I've heard that they're great. Chamois are just really outdated...
            Me either. Wally-Mary carries The Armour-All Brand ones... Anyone tried them? they look very similar to the Meguiars ones. the only thing that makes me hesitant is that they hae a sewn in logo on one corner... and its not very soft...

Comment

I've been using chamois for a long time.Now with a water magnet.

I havn't had any issues,but I agree with what others have said here.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');