• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the dirt from steering wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the dirt from steering wheels

I was wondering if and how it is possible to remove the dirt some steering wheels. Im talking mostly about the oils that are transferred from your hands to the wheels that cause that odd high gloss to them. I can scratch some of it off with my finger nails but its just to tedious and sometimes scratches up the leather wrap. Any suggestions?

Re: Removing the dirt from steering wheels

Start out with some APC and a terry cloth?

leather cleaner?

I know what you mean by this too
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I have read on Autopia that the Scotchbrite delicate duty scrub sponge + leather cleaner works very well. I haven't tried the sponge yet. I keep forgetting to look for it. I've been using a microfiber towel and leather cleaner on my leather steering wheel. Be sure, after you have cleaned the wheel, to wipe off with a damp towel (I use distilled water).
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

I tried APC along with Microfibers with no such help. Haven't tried leather cleaner yet but I dont think that will do much either. I know its a odd thing to bring up but my steering wheel is getting alot of build up on it during the summer months and also noticed it on certain customers cars as well.

Comment

I try and combat that by cleaning it with QID every othee day
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

A guy named "Quality Leather" (aka Eric Green) on Autopia recommends a cleaning solution composed of 3% Joy dishwashing liquid, 10% alcohol, and the rest distilled water, applied with a Scotchbrite delicate duty scuff pad. Green runs a leather repair service, so he may know what he's talking about. Caveat emptor.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

This may sound odd to you but try out a magic eraser.

I just did a detail on my sisters car and hers was the same way with white in the cracks of it. Took it all out nicely. It will work on leather also just make sure to use a cleaner on it afterwards

Comment

Hmm, alot of good suggestions. Ill give each suggestion a shot and see what works the best and then post up the results!

Thanks everyone.

Comment

If it's leather...I quite like the shiny look.

Comment

The only thing leather in my car is the steering wheel and I use Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes on it. I would imagine this would provide some of the cleaning power and at least loosen things up for you. Just remember to really wipe it down so that the wheel isn't too slick.
                    "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Try a leather cleaner and a very soft toothbrush, tedious work but will cut the grime. I apply the cleaner and let it dwell 10 minutes and use the brush to clean the pores.

Comment

APC and a terry cloth towel has always worked for me. This always cuts through even the nastiest of grime. Wipe with a clean damp cloth then treat with leather conditioner.

I prefer a matte finish on leather, not glossy. Glossy looks tacky where a matte finish looks more natural.

Colin
                        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');