• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big an extension cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How big an extension cord?

Excellent thread! I used a 50' 16 GA. cord on my G110 and the machine would feel warm after lengthy use. I recently bought a 50' 12 GA. cord and after lengthy use....machine and cord are both cool to the touch. I'd like to see Megs do a comprehensive test on this regarding proper cord size for the G110. Just an uneducated guess but....I think the failure rate of these machines would be reduced drastically.
    Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Poki View Post
      Excellent thread! I used a 50' 16 GA. cord on my G110 and the machine would feel warm after lengthy use. I recently bought a 50' 12 GA. cord and after lengthy use....machine and cord are both cool to the touch. I'd like to see Megs do a comprehensive test on this regarding proper cord size for the G110. Just an uneducated guess but....I think the failure rate of these machines would be reduced drastically.
      I mentioned that a while ago when the "my G110 failed" threads started to show up. I would be willing to bet that a too small extenstion cord was used and it tore the machine up.

My Harbor Freight special rotary still works fine today, although not my first choice in rotaries, but I've learned the quirks it has and use it fine.

I'm glad some have taken notice to this, not only will it save your beloved G series, Flexes and rotaries, it will save your other power tools too!

Blue Zero, I'll keep an eye out for the Yellow Jacket.

I bought my green one years ago and it wasn't too bad but I think it was a cheapo from my local Ace Hardware. But it works.
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        Even if it's expensive,it's worth it.They last a lifetime.

Unless you're trimming your hedges with it and accidently cut...

Seriously though, I accidently made myself two entention cords last week. I had to go buy a male plug and female receptacle and right now I'm on my way out to my garage to splice that in.

Comment

I did a bit of browsing around the net. Ace Hardware carries them. I'm eyeballing the 100' 12 GA but it's $65, $42 for the 50 FT. My buddy has a 100' 10 GA, that one is huge but still super flexible. Think he paid $120.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
            For brand I'm a Yellow Jacket guy! In construction we used a lot of extension cords. The Yellow Jacket ones are great and super flexible. Nothing worse than a stiff extension cord. The only down side is they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Almost forgot they have a lifetime warranty too.

The best power cords on the market are backed up with the best guarantee- for as long as you own a Yellow Jacket product. If for any reason you are not satisfied, return the cord to Woods for replacement.

That does look like an excellent extention.Havn't seen that here.
            As you said about the lifetime warranty.....Whirlwind cables(USA)..Still got mine from 20+ years ago.
            It pays to buy good quality with cables.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');