• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay not good???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay not good???

I went to a detailing store by chance earlier today. I asked the guy how he detailed a car. He showed me the products he used and it's Mark V something.

He told me that clay would hurt the clear coat and I should NOT use it too often. He then went on and on that clay should be used only to treat over-spray and should not be used as part of a regular maintenance.

He was adamant about it and talked about how many years of detailing experience he had. I was bored and I left! Too bad I did not wash my car for a few days so I had nothing to show him.

Re: Clay not good???

I have never had a problem with claying. You are suppose to wash the car first. Then use some kind of lubricant (I use Meguiars quick detail). Never have scratched the paint with it. Just make sure you don't have alot of dirt and debris on the car, and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
      I went to a detailing store by chance earlier today. I asked the guy how he detailed a car. He showed me the products he used and it's Mark V something.

He told me that clay would hurt the clear coat and I should NOT use it too often. He then went on and on that clay should be used only to treat over-spray and should not be used as part of a regular maintenance.

He was adamant about it and talked about how many years of detailing experience he had. I was bored and I left! Too bad I did not wash my car for a few days so I had nothing to show him.
      I was in an auto parts store a while back and the sales guy was selling the customer a bunch of detailing stuff..I butted in and told them not to forget the clay. The sales guy basically disagreed and said it was like taking very fine sandpaper to the paint.

I thought it was a pretty odd comment (but hey he was selling the guy 'Mommas' brand ).

I clay my car once a year during my 'major detail' and have never had an issue. I know there are different grades of clay so maybe the more aggressive ones can do harm if used incorrectly.

I think clay is the best tool in my detailing arsenal

BTW what is clay made out of? Clay?? or is a man made product?

Comment

Don't listen to whoever it was that you talked to. Claying your car cannot hurt the paint, unless you use the aggressive clay. Having years of "experience" doesn't matter if you've been doing it wrong the whole time. Not saying he's been doing everything wrong, but he's not right regarding claying. Wash the car first to remove loose dirt, then clay using a lube like Quik Detailer, then follow up with a polish or cleaner wax, followed by your LSP of choice. Hope this helps!
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I havn't been using clay for as long as a lot of other members here(because of a previous availability problem),but I don't see how it can do any harm if used properly.I've always had to use paint cleaners in the past.Claying does the job better and quicker.

There are no chemicals involved with the cleaning,so I don't understand the shopkeepers remarks?

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post

The over-the-counter clay kits like the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit or the Mother's counterpart are safe for clearcoats. The Zaino clay is slightly more aggressive from my experience, and I tend to only use it on a spot-to-spot basis.

However, ones used by bodyshops to remove defects from oversprays are more aggressive, and thus not recommended for regular use.

Comment

I also think that clay is the best; makes the car smooth and slick. I use the consumer line, Smooth Surface Clay Kit. This does the work perfectly and I don't need any other clay product.

The guy said that clay would thin out the clear coat. I am surprised that an experienced detailer would make a comment like this.

BTW, anyone knows about this Mark V products?

Comment

I've been into detailing for many years. And it was only in the past ten years that I saw Consumer Clay kits surfacing to the market. The Clay Bar has evolved over the years, from an expert tool to something that a regular consumer could use safely.

Perhaps this detailer you've met is an oldschooler...

Again, the amount of slander and assumptions from the youngsters in this thread alone amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                  I've been into detailing for many years. And it was only in the past ten years that I saw Consumer Clay kits surfacing to the market. The Clay Bar has evolved over the years, from an expert tool to something that a regular consumer could use safely.

Perhaps this detailer you've met is an oldschooler...

Again, the amount of slander and assumptions from the youngsters in this thread alone amaze me.
                  Oldscooler's are tough to change.I still speak to some that insist fully synthetic oil is bad for your engine! But they are still relating to Mobil's advertising in the early '70s,where there was nothing wrong with the oil or it's performance,but 'seal' failure,which at the time were rubber and not silicon based.It took a long time for FS to get accepted again.

Just a bit of useless information

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Meguiar's consumer line clay is non-abrasive, so it should not harm the clearcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzledude View Post
                      If I'm not mistaken, Meguiar's consumer line clay is non-abrasive, so it should not harm the clearcoat.

It wont harm your clearcoat.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

The consumer clay and the Mirror Glaze mild clay won't harm your paint at all.

The aggressive clay in the Mirror Glaze line may haze your paint as it's designed for that really cruddy embedded particles in your paint and follow with a paint correction.

Claying is a great thing to do on brand new cars and old cars alike! I clayed my new Dodge Neon after aquiring it and you would not believe what overspray and rail dust I removed from a Brand New car, it pretty much destroyed the clay and now on window duty.

Clay away!

Get the kit and you can buy the replacement bars as you need now!

I found the bigger bottle of Quik Detailer at Schucks (Schucks/Checker/Oreilly/Kragen) stores and I've read others use Last Touch of the Detailer line as a clay lubricant.
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Clay is good and safe. Dont worry. Beleive us.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzledude View Post
                            Correct.

Clay only abrades the above surface contamination. However, Meguiars does make an aggressive clay in the pro line that might leave fine scratches, but they are easily buffed out.
                            r. b.

Comment

I can not believe thatregular clay would do more harm then good. In my limited experiences claying only enhanced the paint never harmed the paint.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');