• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First real cleaning job in years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real cleaning job in years

I decided to get my truck, (2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner) looking good after years of neglect. I have cleaned out all the junk inside and have the inside and outside trim almost all detailed. Now it is time to get started on the paint.
    I have some pretty bad water spots and some light scratches that I would like to remove. Along with the light haze that is in the paint.
    My plan of attack is, clay bar, Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, #7, and then either Gold Class paste wax, or Hi-Tech liquid yellow wax. (Please advise on which wax.)
    All comments or suggestions are welcome. I would like to use what I have. I also have #2 Fine cut cleaner. However, I will be doing this all by hand. (No Polisher yet)
    Here are a few pictures. The paint is really a dark green metallic, sorry about the lighting.

[IMG]http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/27113

Re: First real cleaning job in years

Sorry trying to post images

Comment

Try this thread: How to place an image in your messages

I see they're already in the gallery, so by following the directions in the above thread, pics should come out like this:

Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Thanks Shane I just got a Photobucket account too.

Comment

there are the pics

Comment

Originally posted by ricks778 View Post
            My plan of attack is, clay bar, Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, #7, and then either Gold Class paste wax, or Hi-Tech liquid yellow wax. (Please advise on which wax.)
            All comments or suggestions are welcome. I would like to use what I have. I also have #2 Fine cut cleaner. However, I will be doing this all by hand. (No Polisher yet)
            ricks778, I would get hold of some microfiber applicator pads to apply your cleaners with, as this will give the product more bite.

I have tried both of these cleaners (#2, and Ultimate Compound), and my gut feeling is that #2 is going to be the stronger of the two. Course, it wouldn't hurt to come back with an application of UC, with a Hi-Tech sponge applicator, for the final pass as UC probably has the better gloss of the two. Just be sure to remove UC with a microfiber towel, as UC tends to smear if removed with a terry towel.

I've tried both waxes, and I think you'll like #26 (I'm presuming that's what you are referring to as the yellow wax) the best.

As for #7, I don't use a pure polish very much, but there is an art form to removing it correctly. Read my last post here for the best removal advice.

Good luck to you!
            r. b.

Comment

Thanks Rusty Bumper,
              I did pick up some Even Coat Microfiber pads,and I was think of getting a 4 pack of foam pads as well.
              and yes #27 wax is what I have.
              I used to have a black Volvo 760 that I used #7 on along with #20 Sealant and it used to turn out with a mirror finish.

Comment

Originally posted by ricks778 View Post
                I used to have a black Volvo 760 that I used #7 on along with #20 Sealant and it used to turn out with a mirror finish.
                I've heard good things about #20, but I have never owned a bottle of. Some have ranted about how good their finish looks with #26 - followed by #20.
                r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                  I've heard good things about #20, but I have never owned a bottle of. Some have ranted about how good their finish looks with #26 - followed by #20.
                  well that was a long time ago 15 years or so and that bottle of #20 was half gone and seperated, so I tossed it. But if this turns out good I may get another bottle of #20, or #21. I also have a Black Infiniti FX35 to do when I'm done with my truck. The paint is in much better shape on it tho.

Comment

118 views and only 3 replies besides my own. I guess I need to work on my pics or something.

Comment

How about a pic or two of the whole truck?
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Well, Rusty pretty much answered the questiosn, but I'm not as sure about #2 being stronger than UC. If he is right, and they end up close applied by hand, then I might consider having a bottle of something milder like SwirlX around in case it needs the follow-up, and for future use. You wouldnt want the strong products every time, and hopefully dont keep adding more defects that need removed.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          Well, Rusty pretty much answered the questiosn, but I'm not as sure about #2 being stronger than UC.
                          It's been a while since I used #2, and I could be wrong about it being the better cleaner, but my initial experience with UC was somewhat disappointing.
                          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                            How about a pic or two of the whole truck?
                            Here are a few pics of the whole truck.

Comment

I guess I better work on photo taking skills too

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');