• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First real cleaning job in years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First real cleaning job in years

The pics are fine.

Have you been able to start anything yet, or waiting for a good weekend?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

Have you been able to start anything yet, or waiting for a good weekend?
      I was waiting for the weekend which for me starts today. I'll get some of it done today and post the results.

Comment

Ok guys. This is the top of my truck, the worst part of my truck, after Clay bar (Clay Magic Blue bar) using Quick Detailer-mist and wipe as a lube. Then Meguiar’s Ultimate compound.

Before.

After

I do have some bad bird droping stains that did not come out with one application. I am going to have to work more on those.

Comment

well guys after going over a few of those spots twice with #2 Fine cut cleaner after the initial job of Ultimate compound, there was no difference.
          I am thinking of picking up some M105 since I read http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25251
          Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by ricks778 View Post
            well guys after going over a few of those spots twice with #2 fine cut cleaner after the initial job of ultimate compound, there was no difference.
            I am thinking of picking up some m105 since i read http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25251
            any other thoughts?
            I had a feeling Ultimate Compound would not be strong enough.

Might better proceed to #105 as you said.
            r. b.

Comment

Nice truck, I like Tacomas.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Ok Guys now that the heat wave we have had here is over I will hit those bird spots. I was able to borrow a G100 from a coworker that came with a Solo black pad, Solo yellow pad and a Soft Buff yellow bad.
                Could anybody give the proper method and pad recommendation for removing the paint defects?
                I plan on using Ultimate Compound first and I hope that will do it. I do have #2 fine cut cleaner as well

Comment

Ok Guys now that the heat wave we have had here is over I will hit those bird spots. I was able to borrow a G100 from a coworker that came with a Solo black pad, Solo yellow pad and a Soft Buff yellow bad.
                  Could anybody give the proper method and pad recommendation for removing the paint defects?
                  I plan on using Ultimate Compound first and I hope that will do it. I do have #2 fine cut cleaner as well
                  It's way past my bedtime, so I am only going to post this for the time being, but others may want to help you too, and that is fine by me.

Take your time, and read this thread on the proper use of the G100 before doing anything else. Mike's techniques can be applied to #2, and UC as well, although you may want to read up on Ultimate Compound in this forum too.

Later.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                  r. b.

Comment

I'd suggest going with the least aggressive method first.Try your fine cut cleaner and see if it take out the water spots or scratches. I'm that doesn't work, you could try Swirl X then followed by Scratch X 2.0 if swirl x doesn't work, and if scratch x doesn't work then try ultimate compound.

I believe Fine cut cleaner is less aggressive than swirl x. Always go least aggressive first.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts guys but after spending about 4 hours on the top on my truck I could still not get the rid droppings off, even with the polisher I borrowed.
                      Fist time user of a G100 but I watch some “how to “videos and I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to do. Nevertheless, I could still not get the stains out. I think I am going to have to wet sand.
                      I did learn one thing tho M105 is amazing.
                      This is an area done once by hand with #2, then Ultimate Compound, then again with #2 and Ultimate Compound with a G100.

This is an area done once by hand with Ultimate Compound, and then M105 with a G100.

For M105 having a #12 on the scale of aggressiveness I was shocked to see it come out so clear, and this is coming from someone that never used a DP.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I went over the hood of an SUV about 2 dozen times with #83 before I was able to remove some embedded water spot stains.

Looking good on the reflection though!
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                          If it makes you feel any better, I went over the hood of an SUV about 2 dozen times with #83 before I was able to remove some embedded water spot stains.

24 times! Is there any clear coat left on it
                          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                            24 times! Is there any clear coat left on it
                            Oh yes.

It still looks good after 4 years.
                            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post

Thanks Rusty Bumper the reflection is looking good even with no wax yet.

But also when you say "2 dozen times do you mean 2 dozen passes? Or 4-5 passes done that many times or what exactly? Did you use a DA, Rotary or by hand.
                              I'm sure I'm not doing something quite right. Maybe I do need to go over it more. Yet so far I done some hand rubbing, and I have gone over it with a DA with 10-20 passes.
                              And still have this

Comment

Thanks Rusty Bumper the reflection is looking good even with no wax yet.

But also when you say "2 dozen times do you mean 2 dozen passes? Or 4-5 passes done that many times or what exactly? Did you use a DA, Rotary or by hand.
                                I'm sure I'm not doing something quite right. Maybe I do need to go over it more. Yet so far I done some hand rubbing, and I have gone over it with a DA with 10-20 passes.
                                Two dozen separate buffings.

I used #83 at the time, and I buffed a selected area using the cross-hatch method of working the buffer north & south, then east & west in overlapping passes. I set the DA on the 5 setting, and I guess it must have taken me at least two to three minutes per buffing session.

Those stains do look rather deep. Since you are using Ultimate Compound, it might pay you to read up on this thread and see if it can help your pad have more cutting power.
                                r. b.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');