• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy and Scratch X 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy and Scratch X 2.0

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but have been reading these forums for a while and I finally decided to register. I know you guys are very knowledgeable and have a question regarding Scratch X 2.0. I don't know too much about detailing, but I will try my best to describe the situation.

There are scratches in the clear coat paint of my car. I plan on using Scratch X 2.0. I have heard it is better to use Meguiar's foam applicator pads but unfortunately no stores sell them in my area. I don't order online, so I am kind of SOL. I plan on using a microfiber car towel, which I have used before when I was helping a friend apply Scratch X 2.0 to his vehicle and it gave satisfactory results. The reason I am asking this is because the scratches on my car are deeper into the clearcoat than my friend's were. Will a microfiber cloth still work in thic case?

Thanks,

Re: New guy and Scratch X 2.0

I would try a microfiber applicator pad.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by brannyk View Post
      Hi everyone. I'm new here, but have been reading these forums for a while and I finally decided to register. I know you guys are very knowledgeable and have a question regarding Scratch X 2.0. I don't know too much about detailing, but I will try my best to describe the situation.

There are scratches in the clear coat paint of my car. I plan on using Scratch X 2.0. I have heard it is better to use Meguiar's foam applicator pads but unfortunately no stores sell them in my area. I don't order online, so I am kind of SOL. I plan on using a microfiber car towel, which I have used before when I was helping a friend apply Scratch X 2.0 to his vehicle and it gave satisfactory results. The reason I am asking this is because the scratches on my car are deeper into the clearcoat than my friend's were. Will a microfiber cloth still work in thic case?

Thanks,
      Do you have a bottle of NXT 2.0 yet? The reason I ask is the box of NXT 2.0 comes with a foam applicator pad... and the wax absolutely awesome, so why not kill two birds with one stone and grab the wax and get the free applicator?

If that isn't an option for you, you can always try the microfiber and see how it works. If it doesn't get the job done, then head back to the drawing board then.

Another option is to see if there are any PBE stores in your area that may have or be able to order the foam pads for you.

You can use this link to locate the local stores: STORE LOCATOR

Comment

Originally posted by brannyk View Post
        There are scratches in the clear coat paint of my car. I plan on using Scratch X 2.0. Will a microfiber cloth still work in this case?
        If that is all you have access to, Yes, but keep in mind you may need to do a few applications since they are deeper.

Don't forget to top it with a polish and/or wax since ScratchX 2.0 will remove all traces of wax as well
        Mike Pennington
        Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
        Meguiar's, Inc.
        800-854-8073
        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
          If that is all you have access to, Yes, but keep in mind you may need to do a few applications since they are deeper.

Don't forget to top it with a polish and/or wax since ScratchX 2.0 will remove all traces of wax as well
          Will Meguiars NXT Spray Wax do the job temporarily until I can properly wax it?

Comment

That will word as a good temporary coat, but you will want to get a good foundation as you mentioned
            Mike Pennington
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Will the ultimate compound and/or swirl x also remove wax?

Comment

Yes, both of those will remove your wax layer.

In addition, clay, a dedicated paint cleaner, compound, cleaner/polish and even a cleaner/wax will remove your wax layer.
                Mike Pennington
                Meguiar's, Inc.
                800-854-8073
                mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Hello Mike,

Just stumbled on this thread. I see many folks are interjecting polishing after Scratch X 2.0 and Swirl X.

I'm still waiting for my supplies, but I had intended on trying the least abrasive of the two and then going immediately to my NXT 2.0.

Need I add the additional application of a cleaner wax, Color X, etc. before jumping to the LSP?
                  "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
                  BOB

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');