• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vinyl graphics with waterspots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinyl graphics with waterspots

How do you remove waterspots from vinyl graphics on vehicles? racing stripes and the sort. Havent been able to figure it out.
    Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP
    Rides: 94 XJ & 04 Explorer XLT

Re: vinyl graphics with waterspots

Vinyls and decals are very delicate and most be treated carefully.

Try M39 then dress with Trim Detailer or M40 if you'd like...

As Far as Waxing them:

You can wax over vinyl stickers, decals and graphics if they are smooth and glossy in appearance. For those that are matte finished it's best not to wax over them, but we have seen some really good success with Gold Class Trim Detailer lightly applied to matte finished graphics.

A couple of things to look out for:
    • Pointed edges on decals can be prone to lifting if rubbed over too often and once they lift, it's pretty much game over for that decal.

Dark colored graphics against dark paint (think red on black, etc) may show dried wax along the edges that you'd have to clean up with some Quik Detailer and a soft brush. Not a serious problem, just a little extra detail work.
    Matt

Comment

Yeah, if the graphics are glossy, a gently applied cleaner/wax (avoiding pulling up the edges) may be the best/only option.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

used 39. sorry, i should've mentioned that. I also tried a waterspot remover. Didn't think of a cleaner wax...
        Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP

Comment

Originally posted by ninobrn99 View Post
          used 39. sorry, i should've mentioned that. I also tried a waterspot remover. Didn't think of a cleaner wax...
          Then try a Cleaner Wax, if that doesn't work, than use Trim Detailer to hide them.
          Matt

Comment

would a PC and white pad be a good starting point with the cleaner wax?
            Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP

Comment

No, by hand with a smooth foam pad would be the starting point.

Not sure I'd put a machine on any graphic.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

sounds good. Thanks.
                Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP

Comment

Again, Vinyls are very delicate, DO NOT use any machine polisher. Just very gentle application by Foam Applicator, by hand. Try not to agitate the edges
                  Matt

Comment

ill be as cautious as possible. I have the cleaner wax that came with my claybar kit. ill try that out.
                    Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                      Vinyls and decals are very delicate and most be treated carefully.

Try M39 then dress with Trim Detailer or M40 if you'd like...

As Far as Waxing them:

You can wax over vinyl stickers, decals and graphics if they are smooth and glossy in appearance. For those that are matte finished it's best not to wax over them, but we have seen some really good success with Gold Class Trim Detailer lightly applied to matte finished graphics.

A couple of things to look out for:
                      • Pointed edges on decals can be prone to lifting if rubbed over too often and once they lift, it's pretty much game over for that decal.

Dark colored graphics against dark paint (think red on black, etc) may show dried wax along the edges that you'd have to clean up with some Quik Detailer and a soft brush. Not a serious problem, just a little extra detail work.
                      I'm not an expert on vinyl graphics, but should you really use a product that has distillates in it? I think all major vinyl manufacturers official recommendation for cleaning is just soap. Granted, not the best recommendation, but I believe that's all they endorse. Personally, I use something mild with polymers and no distillates and polymer wax for protection. I haven't really had any really tough waterspots, though. Certainly can't polish them out without damage. I'm very interested to see how this is resolved.

Comment

haha, so am I.
                        Hitachi SP 18VA & PCXP

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');