• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humid wax drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humid wax drying

I was just wondering what others do to possibly speed up the dry time for products like NXT when it's really humid? I normally work in a garage and I apply the first coat of NXT and then do all the tires, interior, pack up most of my stuff and anything else I can find to do while the NXT dries. I then will do the swipe test and it looks good, but then it still comes out streaky. So I let it dry more and then use some UQW to help it look good. I let it dry at least 30-45 min (if not a LOT longer, times starts after the entire car is waxed) before taking it off and it's never really long enough. So, would maybe applying it in the garage and then rolling it out into the sun for it to dry a good idea? I wouldn't think so, but just wondering. I rarely ever put a second coat on since the first takes well over an hour to dry and applying a second coat would add a lot of time. I apply it with my PC and the coat is what I would call very thin. If there isn't anything I could do to speed it up, what do you all do while it dries to make the best use of your time? Just sitting there waiting doesn't look good for someone that is "paying me 25 an hour" ya know?

Re: Humid wax drying

Don't pull into the sun - you're asking for trouble with removal if you do that. If possible, bring it outside into the shade, especially if there's a breeze. As far as I know, what's actually occurring during the drying process is that some of the solvents that keep the product liquid are evaporating, leaving the sealant or wax on the surface, and you buff off the excess. If my theory is correct, then air circulation and low humidity are the keys to fast drying.
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

I can't count the times that I've run into this problem.

If I apply a wax / sealant with a hand applicator, the product dries almost instantly, regardless of the humidity. But if I apply it via G100, then it takes forever to dry - and I am working outside in the shade too.

#26 isn't so bad, but the polymer sealants tend to be the worst offenders.
      r. b.

Comment

I've used NXT twice now on two different cars,one black and one blue.Worked outdoors in the shade.Temperature was about 100 and the humidty 60-70% with no wind.I applied it on both occassions with the applicator by hand,waited about 10-15 mins and it wiped off perfectly and the result was normal.

I don't know what the difference could be in your case?

All I did before was wash,clay,(scratchX on a couple of places)polish and then apply the wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
          I've used NXT twice now on two different cars,one black and one blue.Worked outdoors in the shade.Temperature was about 100 and the humidty 60-70% with no wind.I applied it on both occassions with the applicator by hand,waited about 10-15 mins and it wiped off perfectly and the result was normal.

I don't know what the difference could be in your case?

All I did before was wash,clay,(scratchX on a couple of places)polish and then apply the wax.
          I'm betting that the difference is that you were outside - the air is NEVER totally still, especially since you mentioned that you were in the shade which implies that there was sun. It's not physically possible for the air to be completely still when the sun is out, there will always be air circulation, whether it's perceptible or not.
          Since he's in a garage, there ISN'T any circulation (unless the door is open, but then it's still minimal unless there is wind outside
          If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
            I can't count the times that I've run into this problem.

If I apply a wax / sealant with a hand applicator, the product dries almost instantly, regardless of the humidity. But if I apply it via G100, then it takes forever to dry - and I am working outside in the shade too.

#26 isn't so bad, but the polymer sealants tend to be the worst offenders.
            There is one exception though, and that is with #21. And I believe the reason for that is because of its ability to be spread out very thin.

A small amount of #21 goes a looooong way.
            r. b.

Comment

I'm suspecting you're not using a spotlessly clean microfiber towel. One panel at a time if you're having problems, and not one towel for the entire job. One quadrant to remove 90% and then flipping it over to the other unused side for the final wipe. It was 92* today in Orlando with humidity c. 60%. Let if dry for c. 15 minutes and it didn't leave a streak at all.

Buy yourself a dozen quality microfiber towels, and don't be afraid to use 'em. You're not going to hurt 'em. They're just a tool to make life easier. One trip through the washer, and they're ready to go again.

If that's not it, your paint still needs a lot of work and you should be using some pre NXT 2.0 products instead until you get things all prepped.
              "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
              BOB

Comment

The last 2 cars I did had this problem, the first was a civic in a parking garage that I washed, clayed, swirlX, then NXT. The second was a miata in a reg garage that I washed, clayed, UC then NXT. I use a few MF towels for wax removal that are folded up and a new section for each panel and then a new one for the "slow final wipe". It doesn't leave a lot of streaks, but there are some. If you let it sit they dissapear after a bit even without an additional wipe. I will try to park it in the shade once it's waxed and see if that helps....now thinking about it, it is a new bottle of NXT and I never really had this problem before, maybe I will try a new bottle and check that out. I really wanna try some 21 though

Comment

Also all of my MF towels are meguiars and I have about 20 or so.

Comment

Something's definitely amuck. I just ran out to the garage and applied a coat of NXT 2.0 to a panel. The temperature is 87* in my garage. The ambient temperature outside is 79* with 81% relative humidity and a dew point of 73*.

I let it sit for a timed ten minutes, less than I usually do since I wipe off in a backtrack direction after doing the entire car. One swipe and it's off. A final clean side light dusting and that was it.

You sound pretty astute at this. Maybe you got ahold of some bad product. As I'm sure you realize also, all I apply is enough just to "fog" the finish. Polymers are a molecular structure and even if you apply the stuff with a putty knife, after it's removed all that's left is a molecular structure.
                    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
                    BOB

Comment

Originally posted by RGP View Post
                      Something's definitely amuck. I just ran out to the garage and applied a coat of NXT 2.0 to a panel. The temperature is 87* in my garage. The ambient temperature outside is 79* with 81% relative humidity and a dew point of 73*.

I let it sit for a timed ten minutes, less than I usually do since I wipe off in a backtrack direction after doing the entire car. One swipe and it's off. A final clean side light dusting and that was it.

You sound pretty astute at this. Maybe you got ahold of some bad product. As I'm sure you realize also, all I apply is enough just to "fog" the finish. Polymers are a molecular structure and even if you apply the stuff with a putty knife, after it's removed all that's left is a molecular structure.
                      Did you apply it via machine or hand?
                      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                        Did you apply it via machine or hand?
                        Hi Rusty,

Liquid version of NXT 2.0 applied manually with the enclosed blue and green foam pad. As of yesterday, now my 14th coat, but my finish is as good as they get. I apply merely enough to "smear" the finish. All I can figure is that he's maybe applying too much, but apparently he's a professional detailer, so I give up!
                        BOB

Comment

Just because I get paid doesn't mean I'm a professional and doesn'take mistakes lol. I really don't know what else it really can be. Maybe I will go back to hand applying wax since I have never had this problem when I did it that way. I've used it many times with the pc, but now am getting this. The coat I put on it very thin, appears to be even thinner than when I apply by hand. I am going to do a test panel this weekend on my gt, 1 side machine 1 side by hand.

Comment

I always have the same problem with NXT, 21, 20 etc. taking forever to dry. I wax in my garage and I even left the wax on my truck sit overnight before and came out the next morning and the wax was still not dry. I just figure it must be due to the humidity and dampness where I live. It also seems to make a difference whether I wax my truck in the garage at night or during the day. If I wax during the day the wax seems to dry quicker, probably because of the dampness in the air we have at night.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by fzr confused View Post
                              Just because I get paid doesn't mean I'm a professional and doesn'take mistakes lol. I really don't know what else it really can be. Maybe I will go back to hand applying wax since I have never had this problem when I did it that way. I've used it many times with the pc, but now am getting this. The coat I put on it very thin, appears to be even thinner than when I apply by hand. I am going to do a test panel this weekend on my gt, 1 side machine 1 side by hand.

Looks like a good day to test if you have a decent garage. 92* again and humid as #$%^!! Keep in touch and lemme know what the deal is. Hey, I'm retired, but maybe I can make a few bucks swirling and streaking cars myself. Just yankin' yer chain my friend. I'm certain you'll hit on the solution soon!
                              Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide
                              BOB

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');