• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiper rubbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper rubbers.

Wondering if wiper rubbers that got hard due to sun can be softened.
    Live in the tropics and buying new blades every so often.
    Any ideas ?

Thanks

Re: Wiper rubbers.

Prestone made a product called the Wiper Blade Restorer. What it does is that it cleans and reconditions the rubber blade to extend the service life of the wiper blade. This product was a success for a while, until autoparts stores realized that the profit margin for this product was too low (MSRP $5.99) and that it was hurting wiperblade sales (wiperblades obviously have much greater profit margin for stores and retailers).

Ever since the demise of the Prestone Wiperblade Restorer, I have never seen other similar products. Restoring wiper blades undoubtedly hurts wiperblade sales enough to induce Prestone to stop selling this great product.

Comment

303 Wiper Treatments <--- similar product but they're like a cloth wipe. I've never tried them but they're around 4-5 dollars for a box and they say "Each packet treats 2-4 blades. They say "Each packet treats 2-4 blades. One Box contains six packets". They're available from several places online. You can do a Google search.

Comment

I usually spray some of the D-line window cleaner into a Wal- Mart microfiber. Run the microfiber on the blade. Repeat a couple of times. It seems to extend the life of the blade.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Use Isopropyl Alcohol wipes or spray Rubbing alcohol on a clean rag and wipe the blades occasionally. This helps to soften the rubber and extend the wiper blades' useful life.

Comment

Originally posted by new2detailing View Post
            Use Isopropyl Alcohol wipes or spray Rubbing alcohol on a clean rag and wipe the blades occasionally. This helps to soften the rubber and extend the wiper blades' useful life.
            I do the same thing. Regular replacement of wiper blades is a big "rip off", just like 3,000 mile oil changes. I have the original wiper blades on my wife's Tacoma -- 75,000 miles and four years old.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
              I do the same thing. Regular replacement of wiper blades is a big "rip off", just like 3,000 mile oil changes. I have the original wiper blades on my wife's Tacoma -- 75,000 miles and four years old.

Tom
              How does alcohol extend the life of a wiper blade? I would assume alcohol would dry out the rubber?

-----------------------

Yeah, I was wondering about the 3,000 oil change myself too.
              r. b.

Comment

M40 rubber and vinyl cleaner seems to work for me.
                #40 - Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Comment

Hey,

I usually just use the Detailer Series Glass Cleaner on a cloth or shop towel to clean the wiper rubber. I have used the "treatments" and to be honest, in my case, it often made things worse, as the rubber deteriorated even faster! I did it to 3 sets and all failed very rapidly, though they did clean better.

As for wiper blade/rubber replacement, I think it is more a function of where you live and the conditions your wipers go through. Also some blades seem to fail sooner than others. I have tried all kinds of brands over the years and in the case of my Fords, the OEM wipers and their replacements have lasted the longest. The same can not be said on my wife's Toyota and the factory wiper rubbers, which fail way too often!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');