• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Keyed - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Keyed - Need Advice

So yea...either a ticked off ex or some worthless wanderer decided it would be fun to key my car. Im leaning towards the latter, being it was only one side it looks like they just did it walking down the street. Some of the scratch is just clear coat, some only into the paint and then some all the way down into the primer. Stretches from the rear quarterpanel to the front fender. What Im considering is buying a paint pen from paintscratch.com, you get the color and the clear, then after that Ill take the portercable to it with the M-105 and M-205 and try to buff it out. Id rather not make an insurance claim as I just did a month and a half ago and I think it would look bad on my part doing another one so soon...so repainting at a shop isnt an option right now. Anyone have any advice before I jump into this? It doesnt have to be perfect or show quality...just good enough to not see without looking hard...so yea, thanks for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by Michael Stoops; Aug 3, 2009, 09:19 AM. Reason: to remove non-family friendly wording

Re: Got Keyed - Need Advice

Do you carry liability insurance on your car? If so and if your deductible is not insanely high, why not file a claim with your insurer? A lot of people are under the mistaken perception that filing any claim will automatically jack up their rates. But that happens only with claims that are determined 50/50 (usually collision claims where it's your word against the other party's). Vandalism is covered under liability and almost always never results in a rate hike. Check with your insurer.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Clearly. I do have insurance with a $250 deductible, but about a month and a half ago someone attempted to steal a stereo and I had my back window (Dodge Magnum) busted out. Being that was only a month ago Id rather stay away from the insurance right now being I dont want to raise any flags.

Comment

I've never really had good luck with paint pens. They can work, but you have to get the area really clean and take care of it like new paint for a whole afterwards. Depending on the color of the car it could be really hard to match as well, especially metallics. M105 or Ultimate Compound would blend the area fairly well, but remember not to wax it for a solid month or two after painting.
        The paint will also age differently than the OE paint, specifically with regard to shrinking - I've got wierd spots all over my new car from where rock chips were repaired with a paint pen and shrank over the years.
        Short to mid-term, the paint pen will be fine especially since you're not looking for perfection. Good luck!

Deja Vu...
        If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Deja Vu it is! Thanks again bro!

Comment

I fill them in with touch up paint, then wet sand and buff it to a shine.

Comment

Thanks again! Ill be sure to let you guys know how it goes...I gotta wait a few weeks for vacation, but once I get there Ima give fixing these a shot...worse comes to worse I look at new paint...bleh.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');