• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what could this be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what could this be?

I have some "stains" on my truck after I had my truck sprayed with Line-X. I have asked multiple people from the local Line-X guy, to their Corperate people, to local body shops, to just about everyone. For the life of me, no one knows what this can be. These "stains" appeared about the same time.

They are smooth to the touch as the regular paint. I have tried to wash them off with meguiar's car wash. No change. I took it to the local body shop and they tried some rubbing compound and no change in the appearance (they just lightly rubbed with a clean cloth). There is no bubbling, flaking, etc that I can tell of. It's almost like it has "stained" my paint some way.

The Line-X guy said he found a spot on my vehicle (road grime, tar, sap, whatever he said) and he tried to remove it with de-natured alcohol. Everyone one I have talked with are at lost. Line -X Corporate said that none of their solutions or products would cause this. They said that some people use Acetone, but it would bubble or eat the paint, which this is not the case.

Any clues?

Michael

Re: what could this be?

I'd try claying it and going over it with a paint cleaner. Do you have any of the Meguiar's consumer line paint cleaners?

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (which is being discontinued)
    Swirl X
    Scratch X 2.0
    Ultimate Compound

I have no idea what those stains are from. But try claying and then the paint cleaner and let us know what happens. If you don't know how to use clay or a paint cleaner then let us know. Just want to make sure you have your process down right. Hope this helps!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I have no clue about what products to try/use to see if this is something that a body shop is going to have to fix or whatever.

I use Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner as my car wash and I hand wash it with a wash mit. I have had the 08 truck a year now, so when it cooled down some, I was going to try and give it a wax (I see that there is a difference between wax and polish so maybe a polish is what I was going to do.)

Please help me in this department of the steps to take to try and see if this is something a more professional needs to do. I want products that aren't going to eat the clear coat off of course. I am just your average person who would just go to the store and pick out what Meguiar's product sounded right for the job.

So I am willing to listen to some steps that start after a good washing with the Gold Class Car Wash.

Thanks

Michael

Comment

I went and bought the Meguiar's Smoothing Kit. I washed the whole side of the truck with Meguair's Gold Class, dryed with a Microfiber Cloth, and used the kit.

The Clay seems to have had no effect at all on the stain. I made sure the spots were clean, dry and then used the included spray. I sprayed both the truck and the clay. The clay is as good as it was when I opened it up. I then used the included bottle of cleaner wax to finish it off after drying the solution with a Microfiber towel. The Cleaner wax made the surface as smooth as glass (maybe smoother) but didn't remove the "stains". Is this something that has eatten into the paint?

Comment

If claying didn't work, go ahead and try one of the paint cleaners, probably either Scratch X 2.0 or Ultimate Compound.
          Shane
          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Just hope whatever it is, didn't go through the pores of the clear coat and actually stain it.

I'd try the DC1 paint cleaner first. If all fails, Ultimate Compound.
            2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
            2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');