• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing questions on customized truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing questions on customized truck

I recently purchased a used 2006 chevy silverado 4x4 crew cab. It is in good shape. The previous owner did some customization on it.

Here are the products I just purchased.
    - NXT 2.0 tech wax paste
    - Gold Class car wash
    - Smooth surface clay kit
    - #7 show car glaze

& some vroom microfiber towels

I have a turtle wax buffer that came as part of a gift set someone gave me, but I will probably do it by hand. Would anyone recommend to use the turtle wax buffer?

1. There is some plastic molding around the wheel well that was originally black, he had it painted by an auto body shop to match the color of the truck. What is the proper way to detail this? Does the paint on top of the plastic change how you would work on it?

2. Snuglid on the truck bed. This is fiberglass with paint to match the truck. Wash and wax this as normal is what I have gathered so far. Correct?

3. The rims are moto metal, I think either stainless or chrome I will have to check. What is recommended to use on these?

4. I have read about the two bucket method, but when it comes to washing and waxing, what is the best way to reach the roof and center of the hood on a large vehicle? Wash mit on a stick?

Thanks!

Re: Detailing questions on customized truck

Welcome to MOL Johan!

For starters, anything now covered in paint (that you mentioned) can be treated like the paint on the rest of the truck.

For the wheels, until you can verify what they are you want to either wash them with normal car wash soap, or the Meguiar's Aluminum Wheel Cleaner.

The best way to reach high points is likely just to get a step ladder or a stool, but there are some tools out there that have extending arms to reach hard-to-reach places.

Comment

I have just read a couple of threads where people have actually torn the paint on the plastic panels when using a rotary/orbital machine.

I don't know if this is the case for yours, as its not OEM painted plastic panels - so maybe its alright. I would still take it real easy on them if you do use the machine, it may even be worth doing them by hand if it's only the wheel flairs that are plastic.

Comment

Be careful sometimes the buffer will burn the plastic and you are stuck with burnt plastic that is an eyesoar trust me from experience it is not a good thing.

Comment

^I agree from what I have read you have to be very careful when using a machine on painted plastic. I read somebody burned through their paint on a BMW painted plastic bumper with a PC because the panel was in the sun and the paint was too hot.

Comment

I have a 4 wheel truck and an SUV so getting to the middle of the roofs of both vehicles is a challenge for me too.

My solution is the Werner AP-20 Aluminum Work Platform. You can get it at Lowe's or maybe Home Depot for about $40. At over 3 feet long, I can move around on it and get the entire roof while only repositioning the platform a couple of times - more convenient than a ladder. 20" height is perfect for me and the vehicles I work on.

If you go to Werner Ladder's website, it is on page 2 of the specialty ladders section once you go to products. (can't post a link since I don't have enough posts yet).

Comment

Werner is the world leader in the manufacturing and distribution of ladders, climbing equipment, fall protection and ladder accessories.

Theres the Werner AP-20

Comment

The mention of heat issues on plastic is a good point, but he mentioned using a cheap orbital buffer- so it shouldn't be an issue for him at all. Also, with the list of products he mentioned, it should be a non-issue.

If the paint job was of even decent quality it should be treated just like the rest of the body of the truck.

Comment

Those platform ladders are great. Highly recommend them.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

If the paint job was of even decent quality it should be treated just like the rest of the body of the truck.
                    Well they did a great job on the color match. I'm not really an expert on paint so I can't tell much beyond that. The plastic has a slight texture to it.
                    The picture of the truck is my avatar, you can see the raised portion on the wheel well.

That's for the ladder information, looks good.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');