• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An excited Canadian buyer makes a purchase mistake in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An excited Canadian buyer makes a purchase mistake in US

I was recently down in the Portland OR area visting my parents and thought I would purchase a few hard to come by products that we can't get in here in Canada. Of course in my excitement in all the new products I grabbed M02 instead of M205, must have jumped the gun when I saw a 2. Now for my question, what disadvantages do I have with M02 that wouldn't have happened with M205 besides more cutting? Is there hopefully some advantages? Maybe someone could give me some major differences and possible application stories? Thanks in advance guys
    Matt

Re: An excited Canadian buyer makes a purchase mistake in US

M02 (Fine-Cut Cleaner) is a mildly abrasive cleaner that removes fine surface defects including light oxidation, stains, scratches, swirls and fresh water spots. Diminishing Abrasivesā„¢ cut quickly, then reduce to a polishing rouge, while Buffered Abrasiveā„¢ action lubricates the finish to prevent scratching.
    I think it might be rotary applied only

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
      I think it might be rotary applied only
      I double checked. It is rotary and DA approved.
      Matt

Comment

Obviously, it has a higher cut rating than M205, and may not leave a refined finish compared to M205. With this disadvantage comes an upside. You are able to remove deeper defects more quickly with a less aggressive foam pad.

This product may need a follow-up polish before an LSP. Maybe not if you think it is LSP ready.

How could you mistake this product with the M205? The M205 costs twice as much as the M02

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
          Obviously, it has a higher cut rating than M205, and may not leave a refined finish compared to M205. With this disadvantage comes an upside. You are able to remove deeper defects more quickly with a less aggressive foam pad.

This product may need a follow-up polish before an LSP. Maybe not if you think it is LSP ready.

How could you mistake this product with the M205? The M205 costs twice as much as the M02
          It was just one of those days man. Here in Canada we don't have many Professional Line Products on the shelf so I must have just not looked to hard into it. Return is out of the question too! I was hoping that with M02 it would be LSP ready and not quite so high of a cut rating but I guess it is only one more. I wouldn't have to follow up with SwirlX would I? I was hoping I could just go with some DC2 if M02 isn't going to be quite LSP ready.

LESSON TO FELLOW NOOBS: READ THE BOTTLE.
          Matt

Comment

Honestly, with a cut rating of 5, you can probably get away with NOT using a polish afterwards. I am able to get an LSP-ready finish from using Ultimate Compound alone with a very light polishing pad.

By the way, do you know any place in Washington that sells an extensive line of Meguiar's products?

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
              Honestly, with a cut rating of 5, you can probably get away with NOT using a polish afterwards. I am able to get an LSP-ready finish from using Ultimate Compound alone with a very light polishing pad.

By the way, do you know any place in Washington that sells an extensive line of Meguiar's products?
              But ideally is it the best way to go about getting an LSP ready finish? Would a glaze or even something with a lighter cut not be the best way?

No idea man. Did you try the Dealer Locator on Meguiar's.com http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/ also give them a call before you go, the first 5 places I looked up for the Portland zip code were all disconnected numbers.
              Matt

Comment

Mreim,

The first thing that you should know is that even in the US you can't just walk into any store and find all Meg's products OTC. Even Autozone, Pepboys or Napa don't carry the entire professional line. Most people in the US, get that stuff either from Meguiar's Direct or ADS (and now even proper auto care or autogeek). I lived in the US for 12 years and as far as I know, you cannot get M205 or M105 OTC.

Having said that, you'll have use for M02, just not the same as M205. The first few things you have to ask yourself when working on anything is "what are you working on" and "what do you hope to accomplish".

If you want a "show car finish", it is doubtful that M02 is going to get you there. More and more people are even suggesting at M205 doesn't *always* give you and LSP ready finish and opt for something like Ultrafina after M205 (again this is paint dependent).

M02 (as far as I know) uses diminishing abrasives, which work differently than the SMAT's in M105/205. So, if I'm correct about M02 using diminishing abrasives (maybe Mike Stoops or Mark Kleis can correct me if I'm wrong), you have to ensure that you thoroughly work the product into the paint to ensure the product is working and breaking down the way it is supposed to.

I would bet (at a cut rating of 5) that M02 will have more correction ability than M205 which would be an obvious positive. The single best thing though... is the fact that you have one more weapon in your arsenal to attack a situation. Sometimes, having a wide array of products around is good so that you can find that "perfect combination" to get you the results you desire.

Good luck.
                ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');