• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door Jams are just no fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Jams are just no fun!

I'm a freak, I admit it. My three step process, Deep Crystal Polish, Glaze and then liquid polish even goes for the door jams. Its a tride and true system, and there is nothing like touching that silky paint once it is finished.

I have to say, it is the worst part of detailing, and I am sure there are short cuts, but there's no short cut for a totally shiney car!

Lisa :0

Re: Door Jams are just no fun!

Could just do Cleaner Wax.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by itself View Post
      ...but there's no short cut for a totally shiney car!

You said it. Not too many females on the board. Glad to see you on here.

Colin
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Every wash I wipe them down with Last Touch and a Supreme Shine and dress the rubber with ASD. So I wont have to do much with them as long as I keep that up.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Im with Tuck, I use a slide lock brush and some last touch and wipe it down with microfibers, keeps it looking good and keeps dirt from building up.

I find it funny that its easy to find the things that you hate doing the most when working on other cars but when doing them on your own that is maintained its a breeze. I noticed this today when giving my car a wash, the wheels were easy to clean of brake dust, interior just needed a vac and dusting as did the jambs. It goes so much quicker when its kept up normally

Comment

You vacuumed your jambs?
            Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
            baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

guess I shouldve re phrased that lol, no just got rid of the dust with some last touch

Comment

Sorry for the hijack, but how exactly do you folks clean the hard-to-reach areas of the door jambs?

I usually hit the jambs with the wash mit after the rest of the car is cleaned, but I don't dare use a wash mit where grease & oil reside near the hinges. Sometimes, I might spray the hinge areas with water, but that is about it.
                r. b.

Comment

I usually use APC in the door jambs, but sometimes I use the wash mitt if I don't see grease. (After the rest of the car is done, of course)

Another option is trusty Last Touch, either 100% or 50/50.

Comment

I scrub with one of my old wheel spoke brush, gets in the hinges pretty good. I usually spray down with a cleaner first.
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I use Last Touch on my jambs. Then a good coat of cleaner wax when I do a full detail.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                        I find it funny that its easy to find the things that you hate doing the most when working on other cars but when doing them on your own that is maintained its a breeze. I noticed this today when giving my car a wash, the wheels were easy to clean of brake dust, interior just needed a vac and dusting as did the jambs. It goes so much quicker when its kept up normally
                        Regular upkeep is the easiest way to keep any area clean.
                        Jambs, engine compartment, trunk, wheels, wheel wells, tires, are not that tough when you do them regularly.

Originally posted by dope92cc View Post
                        You vacuumed your jambs?
                        Dpn't knock it. Brushing and vacuuming the seals around the door jambs which accumulate sand is an important part of cleaning our mini-van. Take a look in the crevices of those seals and you might be surprised. The sand is really a problem during the winter months. That sand will act as an abrasive and cause some major damage to those seals.

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                        Sorry for the hijack, but how exactly do you folks clean the hard-to-reach areas of the door jambs?
                        A paint brush with some tape around the metal sleeve so it doesn't scratch anything, and some APC works good for me in the hinge area. It's only necessary about once a month or even less often. I do wipe all the jamb with a damp towel at each wash. You will want to lubricate the hinges after doing the brush/APC cleaning.
                        Charles
                        The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by itself View Post
                          I'm a freak, I admit it. My three step process, Deep Crystal Polish, Glaze and then liquid polish even goes for the door jams. Its a tride and true system, and there is nothing like touching that silky paint once it is finished.

I have to say, it is the worst part of detailing, and I am sure there are short cuts, but there's no short cut for a totally shiney car!

My philosophy has always been if it has paint on it it gets waxed.Vehicles are designed for water to drain off them, If areas build up with dirt and retard the drain of water It will puddle up and and seep and Rust will start.

Prior to washing the vehicle I spray all jambs, doors,trunk,inside fender edges with APC than with doors, trunk and hood closed spray the hose at all gaps to allow water to flush the APC and dirt away. Than it's an easy wipe with a rag.

Than a quick app. of NXT and your set.

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                            Prior to washing the vehicle I spray all jambs, doors,trunk,inside fender edges with APC than with doors, trunk and hood closed spray the hose at all gaps to allow water to flush the APC and dirt away. Than it's an easy wipe with a rag.

This sounds like a great idea. I think I will agitate the APC with my paint brush to loosen the dirt, then close the doors and use your flush technique.
                            Charles
                            The Rainmaker

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');