• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my G110 Kit..but it came with only one cutting pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my G110 Kit..but it came with only one cutting pad

So I ordered one of those Meguiar's G110 polishing kits, that came with a couple of Pinnacle products (swirl remover and polish), but it came only with on cutting pad (orange) and 3 finishing pads instead of the 3 cutting pads and 1 finishing pad. I already contacted the vendor and he apologized and told me he was going to ship the 2 cutting pads to me.

Since I'm a bit tight on time, would you guys recommend that I
    A) Use the Cutting Pad with two products (clean the pad after using the Swirl Polisher, Apply Polisher to this Pad)

or

B) Use Cutting Pad in conjunction w/ Swirl Remover and Use Finishing Pad with Polish

or

C) Wait for the cutting pads to arrive

Re: Just got my G110 Kit..but it came with only one cutting pad

Cutting pads are not really advisable for swirl removal. Because of the firmness of the pad, cutting pads can leave holograms or buffer swirls unless you have a lot of experience using machine polishers. Did you have an option for polishing pads instead? If the swirls are light, it would actually be a better idea to use the finishing pads instead of the cutting (if you can't wait for polishing pads).

Comment

To clarify the pads I received were

x1 Lake Country 6.5" CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad

x1 Lake Country 6.5" CCS Gray Finishing Pad

x2 5.5" Generic Red Finishing Pads

According to the vendor, the Orange pad is recommended for use "with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections." While the gray pad is recommended for "applying wax, fine polishes, sealants"

I would classify my vehicle as having light swirls and holograms with some water etching, however I also plan on working on my family member's vehicles as well, which have slightly deeper swirls and isolated scratches.

EDIT: The other pads that are in transit are presumably light cutting pads as well. I think I sort of answered my own question, seeing as how the vendor suggests using the finishing polish with the gray finishing pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Xan7hos View Post
        To clarify the pads I received were

x1 Lake Country 6.5" CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad

x1 Lake Country 6.5" CCS Gray Finishing Pad

x2 5.5" Generic Red Finishing Pads

According to the vendor, the Orange pad is recommended for use "with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections." While the gray pad is recommended for "applying wax, fine polishes, sealants"

I would classify my vehicle as having light swirls and holograms with some water etching, however I also plan on working on my family member's vehicles as well, which have slightly deeper swirls and isolated scratches.

The other pads that are in transit are presumably light cutting pads as well

There is no specific requirement on what pad to use with certain products. For example on the Honda paint, many people have claimed to have had success using SwirlX and other light Swirl Removal Polish of other brands with the Gray Finishing Pad. The Gray Finishing pad may be soft enough for waxes and glazes, it still has a slight polishing ability. The Gray Finishing Pad is still considered a Polishing pad by Lake Country, despite the fact that people use it mainly for LSP.

It really depends on the paint you are working on. On my Infiniti's and BMW, an orange cutting pad only has the power to remove light swirls. Medium swirls are virtually untouchable by any foam cutting pads.

Comment

Using a cutting pad with the G110 is not impossible but it can leave to marring which is why it's not really recommended to use a cutting pad with the G110.

What are you working on?

I've used a finishing pad with a swirl remover of some sort with great sucess and I usually start with least aggressive, hence a try with a finishing pad. I know what my own cars use, so I go straight to polishing pad and product of the day.
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks for the responses, they're really helpful.

In regards to using a finishing pad, would I assume you put the G110 setting on 5?

My vehicle is a 09' VW GTI, which is a little over 1/2 a year old. Again, light to moderate swirls, holograms, and water etchings (espeically on my hood).

It's been somewhat well taken care of (just been the victim of ignorance) washed maybe once a month, applied cleaners/wax whenever time allows (maybe 4 times total).

I'll be working on my friends '98 C280, which is covered with moderate to heavy swirls.
            Plan to use Ultimate Compound Followed by Deep Crystal Polisher on his ride

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');