• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos and Order Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos and Order Questions

Photos at the bottom, both cars haven't been washed in a while so they're looking pretty bad.

I'm completely new to detailing. In the past I've used those drive through car washes and figured that was good enough. I decided I was going to start washing them at home and figured I'd look up the best way to do so. After some searching the internet I ended up here and found that there's a lot more to a nice looking car than a bucket and a sponge.

Anyway on to the point... I did a bunch of reading here and put together a list of things I was thinking of getting. I checked the prices online and locally in the stores. The local stores didn't really seem to be competitive, but at least now I know where to get things in a pinch. I was hoping that you guys could look it over and see if there was anything I missed. And also that what I'm planning to get will help/solve my issues visible in the pics below. I'm going to include prices in case you see that I'd be over paying for something (or maybe a good deal?) but if that's not cool let me know or edit them out for me. Thanks!

Auto Detailing Solutions
    6.49 - 64-oz Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash
    6.99 - Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Protectan
    6.99 - Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Polish
    9.95 - Case of 6 Meguiar's Hi-Tech Applicator Pad, Pkg/2
    6.49 - Meguiar's D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 32 oz
    1.99 - Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus Bottle 32 oz
    8.49 - Meguiar's D155 Last Touch 32 oz
    1.99 - Meguiar's Last Touch Bottle 32 oz
    15.96 - 2x Black Grit Guard Insert
    11.49 - Fire Hose Water Nozzle
    14.95 - Stoner Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool
    2.49 - Hi-Tech Jumbo Foam Tire Dressing Applicator 2-Pack
    6.49 - Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel
    16.95 - Shipping

Amazon.com
    18.88 - Meguiar's C-2000 Professional Detailing Clay, Mild
    5.99 - Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound
    5.99 - Meguiar's G17616 SwirlX
    19.99 - Meguiar's G1900K Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit
    29.99 - Meguiar's Dry and Shine Kit
    = 1x Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt
    = 2x Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel
    = 6x Meguiar's X2010 Supreme Shine Microfiber x6
    2.57 - Viking Contoured Tire Brush with Deluxe Grip
    8.99 - Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
    5.49 - Stoner Invisible Glass Liquid
    12.95 - Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0
    7.91 - Meguiar's M4016 #40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner 16 oz.

Lowes
    4.68 - 2x United Solutions 5-Gallon Grey Bucket
    26.98 - NeverKink 5/8" x 50' Water Hose
    1.90 - Tax

Walmart
    1.50 - Measuring Cup
    0.09 - Tax

Grand total - 271.60

I didn't include a dual action polisher, as I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using it yet. I want to see what I can do by hand first and if I don't think my arms can take it I'll probably pick one up.

Re: Photos and Order Questions

Great list, that will pretty much cover everything you need.

I started detailing by hand as well. I can assure you that you will end up buying a DA.

But looking at your photos, I'm not sure if you would want to remove all those swirls by hand, it would be a VERY tiring process.

(there are some instances where I prefer to stick with hand application though, such as the M16 paste wax )

Give those products a try and see how much defects you can remove by hand, PLEASE KEEP US POSTED

I am really interested in what can be achieved by hand (since I failed miserably and turned to the beginner-safe DA for help! )

Comment

I would choose Nxt Glass cleaner Over others... except the Detailer Line glass cleaner...

I would choose the Supreme Shine protect ant over the Nxt Tech Protect ant.

And of course Ultimate Quick Wax for after future washes.

As far as fixing the problems in the pics.... SwirlX and UC are the right products, whether hand or machine applied. Hopefully your car will respond well enough by hand, but don't try to do too much. A panel or two per day is fine by hand, when fixing defects like that.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

^ Agreed ^

But go for the DA. If you get the Meg's DA from ADS, you'll get some 205, a pad, and some microfibers included, so you'll save that money in advance!
        2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
        2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Heres the products I would suggest, before you buy everything which you may not need.
          obviously the basics buckets, car soap, the basics.

Definetly buy the DA G110. It is virtually impossible to ruin your paint with it. Easy to learn how to use.

THen I would go for Ultimate compound, that is about the strongest product you can get at autozone, wal-mart ETC.
          Then I would get some SCRATCH X 2.0, and or SWIRLX.
          Then buy a pure polish, and some NXT 2.0.

If you cant fix the minor scratches, and swirling with that, and your not worried about money, I would buy the M105, and M205.

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT FORGET THE CLAY!!!!!

Save yourself from the arm aches and frustration and buy the DA G110 you will fall in love with it after the first panel. I know I did.

Comment

OH almost forgot while your out there spending hours on end and cannot feel your arms. Make sure you remember that is why we tell you DO NOT PUT YOUR CARS THROUGH AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES!!!!!. LOL GOOD LUCK

Comment

Once you decide to make the switch to a DA your arms and hands will thank you.
              Tracy
              765-413-7547
              Autobritedetailing@gmail.com

Comment

Good lists. Here is another vote for a G110. Not only will your arms thank you, but so will your paint. lol.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I ordered everything above with the substitutions suggested, along with a few other things. Most of it arrived today, so I don't have any pics yet... But hopefully I'll have the time to take some soon.

I did some scraping and found the money to get the DA. I've done a lot of reading about it here on the forums and am feeling more confident that I won't end up with a paint-less car. I'll do my best not to throw/drop it on the car too. Was hoping I could post what I'm thinking of getting here and get some more feedback. Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!

All from ADS:
                  - Meguiar's G110 Dual-Action Polisher Kit:
                  * Meguiar's G110 Polisher
                  * Meguiar's W67DA Velcro backing plate
                  * Meguiar's W8207 Foam Polishing Pad
                  * 3x Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
                  * Meguiar's Duffel Bag
                  * Meguiar's M20512 Ultra Finishing Polish

- 2x Ultimate Microfiber DA Bonnet

- Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 7" Foam Pad Combo:
                  * 1x W7207 Burgundy Cutting (to use with the bonnets)
                  * 3x W8207 Yellow Polishing
                  * 2x W9207 Black Finishing

I figure I'll try the SwirlX and the UC first and if they don't get out as much as I want then I'll pick up the M105. Though it's really hard to not click the add to cart button now!

Comment

Yeah, SwirlX and UC are fine.

You'll just need the bonnets to remove wax, and regular towels for the cleaners/polishes.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');