• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swiffer no-wash method. Good or bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swiffer no-wash method. Good or bad??

I prefer washing,but have used QD/UQD and micros when I can't use water. I havn't noticed any swirling after. It shouldn't unless your expecting QD to do every task other than removal of light dust.

You mentioned removal of bugs. If they are fresh,then they come of easily with this method. If they are dried in a bit,you might be using more pressure and rubbing to remove them,whereas you'd be better off with a bug remover.

Comment

Do you use a new swiffer each time you do this? Or even two or three per time you do the whole car? If not, I'd think you'd be dragging dirt across your surface which can't be good. Often times when I dust off a car with a MF, even after just a day or two, I'll fold the towel to have 8 parts/sides, and I'll still go through 4 towels. How much are those swiffers, compared to some microfibers and washing them?

Comment

Originally posted by sanddrag View Post
        Do you use a new swiffer each time you do this? Or even two or three per time you do the whole car? If not, I'd think you'd be dragging dirt across your surface which can't be good. Often times when I dust off a car with a MF, even after just a day or two, I'll fold the towel to have 8 parts/sides, and I'll still go through 4 towels. How much are those swiffers, compared to some microfibers and washing them?
        Yes, I always start with a new one. I watch the Swiffer pretty closely for dirt. For example, I drove the car 50 miles or so this weekend. I went over all the upper surfaces first, no visible dirt. Then the tail panel (which collects dirt), with some visible dirt. I use the "360" swiffer which has 2 sides, so I flip to the clean side at some point. Then I did the rockers (more dirt visible). Wheels last. So I used just one. If it gets black, visible dirt on it earlier, I put a new one on.

I just bought 2 new packs of Swiffers. $9.99 for 6 double sided at Safeway. Since the Swiffer has 'fluff' (or whatever its called) all the way around, you can rotate it fairly often. It seems softer than all my microfibers except the super premium one I have that was like 30 bucks. That one I save for the final 'love'.

Am I dragging dirt? I don't THINK so.... but thats why I am seeking opinions here!

Comment

Originally posted by blacksnake99 View Post
          This is NOT the Swiffer for the floor. It is the duster version. See the link above (sorry not clickable..... I don't have enough posts yet)

I haven't tried the CD test yet but I will tell you that it is a very soft, fluffy material that really grabs dirt. It even ***** up brake dust with the lightest touch. I really don't see how it could scratch anything.... it's soft as a babys a$$!
          I think I have what you are referring too.

Yes, it is very soft and good at picking up dust. I use mine on my PC and TV screens, etc., although I have never thought about using a Swiffer on a car yet.

Wonder what kind of chemicals they treat the duster with?
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
            I think I have what you are referring too.

Yes, it is very soft and good at picking up dust. I use mine on my PC and TV screens, etc., although I have never thought about using a Swiffer on a car yet.

good question. I see nothing on the website about a chemical attractant. I know Cali Duster uses paraffin. Here is a quote

"Swiffer Dusters fluffy fibers trap and lock dust that feather dusters can just spread around. The fluffy fibers also change shape to get into nooks and crannies and dust virtually any surface for a deep clean."

So I don't know that they are chemically treated.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksnake99 View Post
              good question. I see nothing on the website about a chemical attractant. I know Cali Duster uses paraffin. Here is a quote

"Swiffer Dusters fluffy fibers trap and lock dust that feather dusters can just spread around. The fluffy fibers also change shape to get into nooks and crannies and dust virtually any surface for a deep clean."

So I don't know that they are chemically treated.
              Be carefull if you're not sure about something that's not meant specifically for autos,especially if your car is the one in your avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post

Being obsessive-compulsive, I e-mailed the Swiffer people and asked if the duster is chemically treated. Here is the answer:

"The Swiffer Duster has thousands of dust-grabbing fiber fingers that reach into hard-to-clean places and trap dust rather than stir it up. Other cloths/fabrics may not generate an electrostatic charge and do not have Swiffer's deep ridges to trap and hold household soil.

Hope this helps!

Jacie

Swiffer Team"

So it seems that there is no chemical, its electrostatic.

Comment

Sounds intriguing.

Might try the Swiffer on my car sometime soon.

It surely couldn't hurt to go over the inside with it before using interior detailing products.
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');