• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Acura...how should I fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Acura...how should I fix this?

So I recently bought a 2005 Acura EL, and I love it. However, there are a few blemishes that take away from it. The car is black, so every imperfection is show (ugh, hate that about black cars).

Now I'm looking forward to washing and waxing it within the week so would love to get your input on how I should handle it. There are a few tiny scratches that I'd love to mask as much as I can (I know can't hide it completely).

Here's one of the biggest blemish on the car (now it looks a whole lot worse in the picture, took the pic on my iPhone which was focused on the blemish):

What would you suggest I do to wash and wax (or polish?) a relatively new black car? Any products I should look into in terms of masking the tiny scratches?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Re: Black Acura...how should I fix this?

Hi makaveli!

The link was "broken," so I deleted the broken portion.

Can you try hosting the picture on MOL and post it again? This might help fix the problem since image shack has these issues often.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Firstly, + 2 MOL.

It would help if we can see these scratches before deciding if it's possible to remove or improve them before deciding what product is best.

1.Wash and dry your car.
      2.If neccessary,Clay the surface.(chances are,yes)
      3.New car...You'll probably not have much swirls at the moment. You could use SwirlX or ScratchX2.0 where you see any defects.
      4.DC2-Pure Polish. Optional. I like this product and think it gives good depth before applying wax. Works really well on black.
      5.Wax(or sealant). NXT TechWax2.0 is the way to go these days.

After that maintain by washing regularly. Use Ultimate Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Wax inbetween washes.

Product choice for correction. You'll want to start off with the least aggressive product. Move up to the next product if it wasn't doing much. This will depend on how hard your paint finish is.

SwirlX......Least Aggressive
      ScratchX2.0....Moderate
      Ultimate Compound..Most Aggressive

These videos can help:

Video: How To Wash Your Car- Two Bucket Method

How to use detailing clay video

Meguiar's Video Training Series - Surface Prep

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        Hi makaveli!

The link was "broken," so I deleted the broken portion.

Can you try hosting the picture on MOL and post it again? This might help fix the problem since image shack has these issues often.

Thanks

Mark
        Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        Firstly, + 2 MOL.

It would help if we can see these scratches before deciding if it's possible to remove or improve them before deciding what product is best.

1.Wash and dry your car.
        3.New car...You'll probably not have much swirls at the moment. You could use SwirlX or ScratchX2.0 where you see any defects.
        4.DC2-Pure Polish. Optional. I like this product and think it gives good depth before applying wax. Works really well on black.

After that maintain by washing regularly. Use Ultimate Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Wax inbetween washes.

Product choice for correction. You'll want to start off with the least aggressive product. Move up to the next product if it wasn't doing much. This will depend on how hard your paint finish is.

ScratchX2.0....Moderate

These videos can help:

there we go watcha guys think? looks a whole lot worse in the picture than in real life... basically looks a little more dull than the rest of the car. It rained today and I couldn't even find it at first...

Wondering if a good clean up would help mask it even more...

Comment

I can't see it fully. Most of it can be cleaned up. The underlying scratch might be too deep. Try the SwirlX on it,see if it takes the majority away. If that doesn't help,try UC.
          Also,now that the light has hit the right of your pic,I can see quite a few defects. If that is the general condition all over,you probably would do well to use SwirlX on the entire vehicle after the claying process.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Firstly, + 2 MOL.

1.Wash and dry your car.

ScratchX2.0....Moderate

These videos can help:

I would recommend you to do what Eddie told you :]..

1.Wash and dry your car with the two bucket system + a quality Towel
            2.Clay the surfaces
            3.Use SwirlX and/or Ultimate Compound to get a smooth surface...
            4.Wax your car with NXT TechWax2.0

and for even better results, try investing in a Dual Action machine, once you get one, you will regret not buying it sooner
            Ganesa,
            Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I can't see it fully. Most of it can be cleaned up. The underlying scratch might be too deep. Try the SwirlX on it,see if it takes the majority away. If that doesn't help,try UC.
              Also,now that the light has hit the right of your pic,I can see quite a few defects. If that is the general condition all over,you probably would do well to use SwirlX on the entire vehicle after the claying process.

Let us know how you get on.
              So do you suggest I buy both the SwirlX and UC? I don't mind doing the entire vehicle, would it be ok to go straight to UC?

Also, this might be a 'stupid' question, but could you explain what polishing does? After treating the car to SwirlX or UC, you suggested I polish then wax. So just curious what does polishing do, and if i'd be doing a disservice if I was to jump to wax after UC?

Thanks, learning so much, its amazing

Comment

Meg's definition of a polish is somewhat atypical of many other manufacturers. A Meg polish is used to enhance gloss by adding depleted oils to the surface. It's an optional step. It has no abrasive quality.

Many use polish to refer to a mild abrasive used to increase finish reflectivity by leveling out the surface and therefore decreasing refraction. A totally smooth and level surface provides a greater ability to clearly reflect light.

In addition to Eddie's suggestion, they also offer #7 and #5, but they're pretty hard to locate sometimes. The Deep Crystal should serve you well.
                "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
                BOB

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
                  I would recommend you to do what Eddie told you :]..
                  and for even better results, try investing in a Dual Action machine, once you get one, you will regret not buying it sooner

I'm looking to Dual action machine, but how much are they approximately?

Comment

also been looking at other polishers, and was wondering what are some important features that one should look at when looking at good polishers?

Comment

Not sure if you can get a G110 in Canada (I haven't seen one). That leaves you with either the new PC XP or the Flex. Both are good options but maybe as a beginner the PC XP is a better option with a wide assortment of pads or...

you might want to wait and see if Megs puts out a new polisher at SEMA which will be announced in 11 days.
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');