• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go big or go home.. right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go big or go home.. right??

So here is the deal, I had to ship my car (2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4) from overseas to stateside. And they managed to mess it all up. Non the less its a black car and it shows everything. Over the years of trying to stay ontop of it, the paint has went down hill. To day full of light scratches and swirl marks.

Not wanting to pay for a full paint job, this i hope will correct the issues and bring back that show room finish i want.

Here are just a couple of the problem areas im workin with..

Here are my plans:
    Just bought a Professional-Grade Variable Speed 7" Car, Truck & Boat Polisher Buffer - with 1.75 HP

I also just bought and plan to use in the same order...

Meguiar's M0116 Mirror Glaze Medium-Cut Cleaner
    Meguiar's M0216 Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner
    Meguiar's M8232 Swirl Free Polish
    Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound

Think thats a bit overkill? Im new but not to this.. so i want to make sure im going to do the job right and not screw anything up.

Please let me know if you guys think this is overkill or going to make a show room finish... thanks alot

Re: Go big or go home.. right??

Sounds like you have a plan, what brand polisher and what pads are you using?

Start with the least aggressive combo... Nothing there looks too severe...

Comment

The buffer i bought can be found here:

Professional-Grade Variable Speed 7" Car, Truck & Boat Polisher Buffer - with 1.75 HP

And i just picked up the standard replacement pads that you can add to the order there on that same page.

I wasnt thinking the overall condition of the paint was all that bad, BUT thats where im a new guy in this stuff. You think that Meguiar's M0116 Mirror Glaze Medium-Cut Cleaner could be to harsh to start off with?

Also what kind of speeds should i be using for each of the compounds. Is it better to go slower with the thicker cut compound and faster when i get more towards polishing? Thanks
      Last edited by Markus Kleis; Oct 5, 2009, 07:26 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

Originally posted by shiby3041 View Post
        And they managed to mess it all up.
        Not wanting to pay for a full paint job ...
        From what I see they did not mess it all up, nor to a point of needing new paint job but this is very likely to:

Just bought a Professional-Grade Variable Speed 7" Car, Truck & Boat Polisher Buffer - with 1.75 HP
        Im new ...

Comment

The buffer i bought can be found here:

Professional-Grade Variable Speed 7" Car, Truck & Boat Polisher Buffer - with 1.75 HP

Also what kind of speeds should i be using for each of the compounds. Is it better to go slower with the thicker cut compound and faster when i get more towards polishing? Thanks
          shiby... it seems from the pics that this is a rotary buffer. not sure on whether you have experience w/ rotaries but if you aren't, i wouldn't suggest you practice on your car. also from the pics, it looks like it doesn't need a re-paint.

Comment

I like your motto... Go big or go home.

I think these two products should suffice:

No need for the other two you've mentioned.

Comment

Yeah you definitely wouldn't want to use Ultimate Compound at the end either. It's the most aggressive one on that list.

Also, Ultimate Compound is not designed for rotary buffers so if you aren't going to do it by hand or by Dual-Action polisher, don't use it at all.

Try what the_invisible said and just go with Medium-cut followed by swirl-free polish.

As far as that buffer goes, as someone said above, if you have no experience using a rotary buffer, don't use it. You'd be better off either hiring someone or waiting til you have more experience. As ZoranC said, that buffer could finish off the paint job so that you need a new one altogether if it's not in the proper hands.
              -HealthyCivic
              Check out the glossary

Comment

So here is the deal, I had to ship my car (2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4) from overseas to stateside. And they managed to mess it all up. Non the less its a black car and it shows everything. Over the years of trying to stay ontop of it, the paint has went down hill. To day full of light scratches and swirl marks.

Not wanting to pay for a full paint job, this i hope will correct the issues and bring back that show room finish i want.

Here are just a couple of the problem areas im workin with..

Here are my plans:

I also just bought and plan to use in the same order...

Meguiar's M0216 Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner
                Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound

Think thats a bit overkill? Im new but not to this.. so i want to make sure im going to do the job right and not screw anything up.

Please let me know if you guys think this is overkill or going to make a show room finish... thanks alot
                Try Flex DA with
                M105 (Megs redish pads)
                M205 (Megs Yellow Pad)
                Your Favorite wax (by hand)

The nice thing about M105 and M205 is that they use micro abrasion. You dont have to wait for the compound to finish breaking down because it already is. So when the imperfections are gone you can just pick the DA up and not worry about swirls.

I think youll be very please with the results
                Shawn
                Sullys Detailing

Comment

First off, thank you all for the comments. I am serious about this project. Altho i know it doesnt seem as bad as some of them are on this site from start to finish. As everyones this car is my baby so to speak.

Im one of the few that can even see alot of what im talkin about... lol that type of stuff. I bought all of this stuff all at once, pretty much just to commit to the deal that it was going to happen. What i actually use is pretty much up to what i hear from your guy's input.

I have every thing i listed above and i bought the rotary buffer above thinking it was the best for the job. I have very Little time behind the wheel of one. BUT i know the basics.. dont stay in one spot to much. keep the RPM's down keep compound on it. move it around alot.. I thought it would be better for this job.

I also have already one of these DA types i got from Wal-mart..

you guys honestly think this would be the better option, and just doing the handles and such by hand?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');