• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown Defect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Defect

My car has never really looked glassy smooth when I've detailed it. The reflection has always looked a little shimmery. Only closer inspection the surface of the panels seems to have a texture to it. I'm not sure whether this is a paint defect or a by product from the manufacturing process of the panel. It is all over the car.

Any thoughts as to what it may be?

Re: Unknown Defect

Welcome to orange peel.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Murr says it best, i've got it to friend i've got it to.
      "Every moment frontin and maxin
      Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
      "

Comment

What causes the defect? The car was only manufactured in Feb 08 and I picked it up as an ex demo in January this year. Depending on the cause I'd be inclined to try and pursue it as a warranty issue.

Looking through the various threads I've been able to find it looks like I'd have to go for M105 on a rotary at a minimum, possibly wet sanding to correct it?

Comment

Its just the way the factories spray the paint on the cars these days.

#105, etc wont remove it. And for an original paint job, the clear coat layer is usually not thick enough to wet sand.

Not much to be done about it.... think of it as texture.

Comment

I might try a warranty approach anyway as it is all over the car, although I don't like my chances.

Ignoring the cost, would a complete sand and respray fix it, or is that asking for more trouble?

Comment

Well, a quality shop would remove the paint, spray, spray several layers of clear, sand, then buff. Of course that sounds pricey at a quality shop.

Comment

I would say you'd be asking for more trouble. It could come back from the paint shop with a fresh coat of orange peel. You may find that the majority of your model's paint have it. Some are so bad it looks like the paint was applied with a roller. If you find one without it, ask to trade vehicles.
                on, people!

Comment

Responses from another forum specific to that model is that they generally all have it. Guess I'm going to have to give up the dream of that perfect shine

At least I'll know what to look out for next time I buy a new car.

Thanks all for your advice.

Comment

It's all due to the V.O.C. Laws
                    The MFGS are forced to use higher solid paints to reduce the V.O.C.'S Going up there stacks.
                    Using less solvents reduces the the amount of time the paint has to flow and level out which results in what we see as " Orange Peel "

Comment

Yeah, this is what Hiroshima based carmaker Mazda calls "eco-paint"...

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                        Yeah, this is what Hiroshima based carmaker Mazda calls "eco-paint"...
                        I never really liked green but for my grand kids sake I guess I have to.

By the way I miss your old avatar It always made me smile.
                        It was class with self assurance, confidence and inner strength to march to the beat of your own drummer and I applauded you for that My friend.

Comment

Yes, our grand kids, and their's!

I have a feeling that cars as we know it today will change in the next few years or so. What will change are the ways we perceive them, thus the way we treat and care for them will also change.

Comment

Wise words

Comment

As long as it can be made shinier than the neighbor's.....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');