• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber pads[Hand Application]-Thin, even coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber pads[Hand Application]-Thin, even coat

For a non-professional, I have read these will ensure hand application of a thin, even coat of wax. Would like to learn the basics before I get a PC.

1. Is this true?

2. Different answer for Liquid vs. paste?

Right now I am just trying to see what "thin & even looks like.

I get tired, lose focus........
    Maybe it's the type pad, maybe liquid vs paste.

Help...please.
    Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
    by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Re: Microfiber pads[Hand Application]-Thin, even coat

I dont think you will find the type of pad helps, other than possible personal preference.

Look at the new 5-Step System link on the front page. They added a pic now of thin wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey! Thank you!

Have only seen it used when testing for a single-stage paint/applying a spray wax. Experience trumps product description, but, wanted to learn the "whys"....helps me remember.

I tend to buy things in bulk that I wind up not using. Instead, going to get couple of them and do a side by side.
      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

5 Step thread is a good one to come back to. I had forgotten about it:

by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

I agree, it's not the pad it's how the person uses the pad.

Personally I don't like MF pads to apply anything to paint. I think MF towels are perfect when attempting to prevent dirt from scratching the paint but a person should not be applying wax is there is dirt (plus the wax is going to trap the dirt anyway). I think MF applicators are on the market just to capitalize on the MF marketing engine. MF has plush fibers and they don't shed. I don't see that this really helps when applying a wax. I think a good foam applicator does a much better job of laying an even application of a product.

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
            I agree, it's not the pad it's how the person uses the pad. Personally I don't like MF pads to apply anything to paint. I think a good foam applicator does a much better job of laying an even application of a product.
            Thanks for the info. Was thinking that the pads might even out things by absorbing the wet excess.
            I trust Megs quality and reputation and the pads, IF they are not as effective at laying on an LSP, are the best at "something."
            However, might be more wasteful of product and not encourage the skill a foam pad requires?

Maybe they would be good for applying M16, which I understand sets up like cement if too thick?
            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
              Maybe they would be good for applying M16, which I understand sets up like cement if too thick?
              As noted, I don't like MF for applying wax but when it comes to M16, this is particularly when I think using a foam applicator is much better. I find that I can more easily control and see the wax I'm applying. While technically its foam, it does not absorb the product so what it put on the applicator is what is applied to the paint. Also, I think its easier to move the product around the paint with the foam applicator.

M16 can be a bear to remove on an unprepped surface if applied to thick. I find if the surface is perfectly clean its really not very difficult. Of course, you still need to apply it as thin as possible. Best mention I've seen is to apply it so light it's difficult to tell you even put any on the paint.

The foam applicators that the local auto parts stores carry are not very good. I think they are just too thin. I use them to apply interior products. The Megs foam applicators are much better but the ones I like best are the orange Wolfgang pads. I'm 99.9% sure that the company just prints anyone's name on the pads so I'm sure the ones sold with the Autogeek name, etc. are the same but the Wolfgang ones are the type I bought and I think they work great.

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
                As noted, I don't like MF for applying wax but when it comes to M16, this is particularly when I think using a foam applicator is much better. I find that....
                Thanks for sharing your reasoning. Helps a lot when someone is starting out.
                by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');