• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cobwebs and NXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobwebs and NXT?

I have been fighting an ever increasing problem with cobweb scratches on the hood of our Polo Green `96 Corvette. These scratches started showing up only after I switched to NXT from Gold Class. Could there be any correlation with the use of NXT? Is the NXT layer not as "thick" as Gold Class or Medallion which I used previously, therefore not as protective of the clear coat? When I need to clean (without washing - such as at a show) I always use Final Inspection and either a microfiber or soft cotton terry towel. Maybe I am putting the scratches in the surface during the cleaning process?

Lots of questions - hope you guys can help me sort this out.
    I will be working on the scratches this winter with #9 or #83.

Thanks.

Re: Cobwebs and NXT?

Originally posted by duckvett
    I have been fighting an ever increasing problem with cobweb scratches on the hood of our Polo Green `96 Corvette. These scratches started showing up only after I switched to NXT from Gold Class. Could there be any correlation with the use of NXT? Is the NXT layer not as "thick" as Gold Class or Medallion which I used previously, therefore not as protective of the clear coat? When I need to clean (without washing - such as at a show) I always use Final Inspection and either a microfiber or soft cotton terry towel. Maybe I am putting the scratches in the surface during the cleaning process?

Lots of questions - hope you guys can help me sort this out.
    I will be working on the scratches this winter with #9 or #83.

Thanks.
    Hi duckvett,

I haven't seen or experienced this yet in all of the cars we've detailed. If anything, NXT Tech Wax helps to eliminate fine swirls and scratches better than Gold Class wax and Medallion.

It sounds more like it's possible that you're instilling the scratches during your cleaning process.

Here's a test you could do... clean your Corvette's hood, either by washing, or by using your quick detailer. Then on one half of the hood apply either the Gold Class or the Medallion, and on the other half apply the NXT Tech wax, (or apply all three to just one half of the hood so you can stand over it and view all three at the same time), and then after removing the different waxes, inspect your results under different light conditions. This should be a pretty good indicator as to what's taking place with the different waxes.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike.

I have felt for some time that the clear coat on the re-painted hood is not as hard as the factory finish. I use the same techniques on the entire car, but only the hood is showing scratches. If I can't find a satisfactory way to eliminate these scratches, I may need to have the hood painted again!

Comment

Hi duckvette,

Very soft paint is also very susceptible to scratching and the utmost care must be taken to prevent instilling scratches.

Paint manufactures try to find a balance in formulating paints that are soft enough to make them polishable or workable while at the same time making them hard enough to offer durability with scratch resistance.

Two extremes, one sweet spot. Throw in the variables introduced by different painters and shop environments and sometimes a good re-paint can be the luck of the draw.

Good luck and keep us posted.... (no pun intended!)

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

Just to add, in the summer, I detailed a brand new Chevy truck that had very soft paint. Even the softest pad and product left marring. Believe me, that was a challenging day!!!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');