• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hand washing problems in direct sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand washing problems in direct sunlight

hey, I started having this problem now that I have to wash my car in direct sunoight (as opposed to in the shade of the trees which are now constantly dropping things onto my car) - I am getting a lot of residue that I can't seem to remove, and only from washing!

it is strongest on the side of the car in direct sunlight, and I tried re-washing and everything but when I am getting to the final wipes (and by this point I have started using my detailing towels because my wash towels are filthy) I can even see the water evaporating off of the car (like how football players are steaming after a game).

I have not been able to maintain the exterior of my car for quite some time now: bad weather first put me off from doing a full wash-cleaner-polish-wax etc in September, and kept putting me off and the whole time I keep having to drive my car to and from School everyday, in miles worth of Construction zones that are getting muddy water on my car. and when the rain let up, I have not had time to even wash the car because I have been so busy with school work. I have a long weekend this week and figured I would get it all done since the sky is clear and the temp is only ~70, and this happens

furthermore, along with the residue my entire car must be a classroom demonstration of holograms : - P

I would take my car to a local detail shop and let them do it because I am so busy, but every time my car has gone to one of those I end up with excessive cobwebs, and I certainly do not trust the one my parents go to because even after explicitly telling them to only do the interior of the car, they decide to do a full service and I spent a week getting their cobwebs out, and I know that is the one my parents will take it to if I ask them

any suggestions? - I would try to post pics, but I had a hard trime photographic them due to a cruddy camera

so much of a way to spend my birthday.

-Jimmy
    Black 2003 Honda pilot
    Mobile radio operator, ke5tuz

Re: hand washing problems in direct sunlight

You may have to think of a way to drastically shrink your work space.

Like literally rinse, wash, and dry a panel, then move on to the next panel.

What kind of soap are you using?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Not only shrink your work area, You may have to use a Quik detailer if your car is drying to fast. Or maybe invest in a pop up canopy to give you some shade to work in.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

The other option is going to those DIY coin places at off hours, bring your own car shampoo and buckets and wash your car. I've done it, usually sundays past 6:30pm is perfect, I spend around $4, and I bring my bucket, ice shampoo, megs wash mitt, wheel cleaners, tire cleaners, etc. I just use the rinse option, no pre-soak, and of course not the brush (never!) I drive back home, some UQD, then UQW and tire dressing.

If you don't have one of those places close to you, then follow the other suggestions, one small area at a time, or can't you wash it later in the afternoon/night?

Good luck!

Comment

I am using Gold Class Wash

I'll try one small area at a time, though this time I was doing about two doors type area at a time, so maybe enough to fix it maybe not - I might try one of those self wash places, there is one close by

as for washing at a different time of day, I usually have a lot of stuff going on and I am at a whim to it, for example I could not tonight because I have my birthday dinner and might have to get ready for a trip out of state

@J. A. - how should I go about using that while washing? - just after?

I had planned to polish and wax the car today, as it has been a good while since, but I want to get this stuff taken care of first

p.s. - just an FYI, I have had problems with the direct sunlight before, such as when applying wax in the summer here in Texas: I was only doing the hood, and the wax would manage to dry unevenly due to the partial shade on parts of the hood while the rest were in the sun (trees) - some if it was turning to that white powder like stuff while the rest was still not even ready to buff.
          Black 2003 Honda pilot

Comment

[QUOTE=DaJJHman;370992]I am using Gold Class Wash

I had planned to polish and wax the car today, as it has been a good while since, but I want to get this stuff taken care of first

After your finished washing the car. Doing the smaller areas one at a time, give the car a quick detail, one section at atime. If you have any areas that have dried spotty or whatever this should take care of it.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

[QUOTE=J. A. Michaels;371002]
              Originally posted by DaJJHman View Post
              I am using Gold Class Wash

After your finished washing the car. Doing the smaller areas one at a time, give the car a quick detail, one section at atime. If you have any areas that have dried spotty or whatever this should take care of it.
              thanks, I'll try to do it all in the morning, or possibly later in the day if I have a clear schedule
              Black 2003 Honda pilot

Comment

Sometimes leaving a little dirt on an extra few days until you can get a good time is better than rushing.

Taking your own soap bucket and sponge/towels to a car wash place might be the best option. And if it is off hours, you are less likely to have any problem. Soap can be mixed and put in a sealed bucket all day, for you to use whenever.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Wash one small section/panel at a time and rinse immediately (sheet the water of so there isn't much water that will dry up). Sounds like you may have soap residue that may be drying quickly do to the sun. Do the side that is exposed to the sun last, and also dry immediately as well.

Comment

This time of year, if you have to wash outside like I do, I do it either real early or late when the sun in low and not as intense. It buys you a little time before the water gets evaporated but the sun.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');