• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats safe and how to polish chromed plastic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats safe and how to polish chromed plastic...

Hi,

Have a 95 Cadillac DeVille thats needing some stains polished uot of the chromed plastic moldings around the outside panels and doors. The stains are sort of like a pale yellow, translucent mildew from storage. What can I use that won't harm the plastic (or the light chrome coating) but brighten up the chrome. Any suugestions will be great. Thanks!!

Crew

Re: Whats safe and how to polish chromed plastic...

Crew, I've used regular polish for chrome and aluminum - in a tube ( paste ) on chromed plastic and had no problems... even filled in some scratches. I can find it if you need a brand name, but would assume any such polish would be as good.

Comment

Thanks!!!

JimboB5, makes sense, since the paste polishes don't seem to have any liquified petrolium based chemicals (they should be there but not liquid). Have you tried the stuff on gold plated ornaments?

Thanks for the recommendation, I have four brands at hand (including Meguires), all liquid.. ARGHHH!!! So, I'll have to go buy some tommorow..

Cheers!!!

Crew

Comment

NXT All Metal Polysh works very well, if you have some of that on hand. As for use on anything gold plated, that is going to be something that would need to be addressed with the manufacturer of the product. Each one is different.

Comment

No problem; I've never dealt with gold-plated... I'd go with Roush and check with maufacturer on the gold-plated stuff. Good luck.

Comment

I use a cleaner wax on chromed plastics - cleans and protects nicely in one step.
            Al
            ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Tried the one in the yellow bottle (safe for clear coat wheels, soooo should be safe on plastics) which cleaned just great, but left a hazy look, then finished it with Meguires chrome polish. The chromed plastic moldings and grill look new, perfect. Thanks for all the recommendations.
              Note:
              I did read on the label of one of the chrome polishes I have around that stated "Do not use on plastics". Always read the labels to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Crew

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');