• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires Soaking up Tire Dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires Soaking up Tire Dressing

Hey all. Had a problem yesterday with tires soakin up all The dressing.If you notice on the left side of the back tire it is dry. Dressed tires 3 times thought i had it cured . Drove truck back to friend was still having dry spots. Is there something I can do to prevent this or was hes tires so dry it was just soaking it up?
    Jeff

I think I would keep applying the tire dressing until it stops soaking up the dressing. I don't think it will hurt anything and there has to come a saturation point sometime.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It would be helpful if we knew what product you were using.

Thanks,

Chris
      Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Me too!

I had the same thing happen two weeks ago on a client's truck. He warned me of this problem. He said Hot Shine seems to last the longest. I used All Season Dressing and yep it was gone. I applied it twice. Next time I'm going to try Endurance tire gel.

Comment

Used meguiar's silicone-free dressing. This happens maybe 1 out of 5 cars i do. Figured it down to being just really dried out tires. heres before shot.
          Jeff

Comment

I always thought that the excess dressing was just evaporating or flying off or something, and it hasn't all dissipated evenly. But I guess it could be the other way too.

Comment

I have to agree with Mike on this one. I think your tires were so dry that they were just soaking up the dressing like somebody whos been in the desert all day and needs water.

Off topic for a minute, this reminds me of a time couple years or so back, after I washed our van I went to QD with the consumer quik detailer it was literally just soaking it in. I went around the van and let the QD work because at the time, sometime had gone by before it was even washed.

Now back on topic, keep applying the dressing until it doesn't soak it up anymore or at least to a minimal. BTW, nice job on the truck AR
              Last edited by Airborne Ranger; Dec 2, 2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Hey,

Just to add to the above...

I have found that when applying either the Silicone Free Dressing or the All Season Dressing, you need to apply it liberally with a foam applicator and then leave it sit for about 5 minutes, before wiping off excess. If you wipe it off too soon, you will get the dry patches/streaks you describe.

Give that a try!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I have had the best luck with Hot Shine.

I agree with Mike, if the tires were very dry, they could be soaking up the tire dressing. Applying several coats should fix that.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                    Hey,

Just to add to the above...

I have found that when applying either the Silicone Free Dressing or the All Season Dressing, you need to apply it liberally with a foam applicator and then leave it sit for about 5 minutes, before wiping off excess. If you wipe it off too soon, you will get the dry patches/streaks you describe.

Give that a try!

Tim
                    Tried that too. I will take pics tomorrow of the process.

Comment

Hey Scrub,

That is interesting! I have had the dry patches before. I found it was directly related to both the amount of product as well as the duration of time I left it sit on the tires before removing the excess. This process is even more important with the Silicone Free Dressing. I do leave it on for 5 minutes + before removing.

What is everyone cleaning the tires with first? With the way that technology is changing (Costco is now filling tires with nitrogen!), perhaps something in the tire itself is making the absorbtion of dressing more difficult?

Perhaps a thorough cleaning would be in order before dressing them.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

thanks for quick reply...

My steps to cleaning tires.
                        1. Spray tire and wheel well with safe d-greaser (diluted 10:1) and let dwell (2-3 minutes).
                        2. Agitate with curved wheel brush using NXT soap and water.
                        3. Use wash mit and brush to clean rim (bursh for inner part of rim)
                        4. Rinse and repeat for each tire.

To dress I use those foam tire pads and apply liberal amount starting near the rim and working outward to edge. I don't apply to part of tire near ground. Dressing is applied to all tires then the vehicle is moved and dressing applied to remaining patch. Then dressing excess is removed but by then the dressing is soaked up and leaves dry spots behind. I did this dressing process twice.

I'll test with Endurance, #40, and hyper dressing tomorrow.

Is my process OK??

The time between the first and last wheel dressed should be well over 5 minutes.

Comment

Thanks Guys for advice.
                          Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');