• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touch-up Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch-up Advice?

Hey guys, I recently touched up a small, 3in scrape that I had on the bottom of my car. I layered the paint pretty well and put a light coating of clear on top. However, upon further inspection, the paint still isn't perfectly level with the surrounding area, it is still recessed a little bit. My question is, how should I proceed from here? Should I layer on some more paint and then wet sand the area and finish with more clear? It's dark out now, or I would post a pic. But the scrape is very thin and penetrated to the primer.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Touch-up Advice?

Do you want it perfect, or just asking to make sure no more damage will happen?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'd like to get it as close to perfect as possible, I'm just not sure what steps I should take from here.

Comment

If you want to be able to sand and level it, you will have to make it a bit of a blob above the regular surface level. As small and neat of a blob as possible of course, but at least a little above the surface.

Since you are already at the clear, you will want to use more of the clear.

Wet-Sanding and compounding can be a bit more advanced of course, but you would want the highest Uni-Grit paper possible, and then UC/#105. Hopefully if you do a neat, small blob, you can just start with a high grit paper like 2500 or so and stay there.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          If you want to be able to sand and level it, you will have to make it a bit of a blob above the regular surface level. As small and neat of a blob as possible of course, but at least a little above the surface.

Since you are already at the clear, you will want to use more of the clear.

Wet-Sanding and compounding can be a bit more advanced of course, but you would want the highest Uni-Grit paper possible, and then UC/#105. Hopefully if you do a neat, small blob, you can just start with a high grit paper like 2500 or so and stay there.
          I think I'll go ahead and do that then, maybe add another layer or two and then wet sand and polish.

Comment

Click the below link it will take you to what are called "Popular Tags"

Now click on any tag that has to do with touch-up paint or rock-chip repair and then read the related threads.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');