• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for dealing with this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for dealing with this??

Below is a pic of the rear bumper of my '04 Mustang GT. The area is is the horizontal portion just rear of the license plate. The scratches are pretty deep, but it looks to me that the paint actually cracked??? Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to correct this? I am thinking repaint is the only answer.

ps. I posted some other pics of my currect detailing process as well. Right now I just finished claying the whole car and have done the roof, hood, deck lid, and driver's side with a paint cleaner - all by hand. I will post more pics as the process continues.

Re: Any suggestions for dealing with this??

If you can feel it with your finger, it's too deep and will need re-painted. Buffing will make it look a little better, but won't make it go away.

Comment

They appear to be impact cracks in which case only a repaint will solve the problem. Sorry...

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Impact cracks? Like the car was hit OR something was drop on the bumper? There is no other damage elsewhere.

Opinions please...

At the detailing class I learned about the aggressivness of different applicators, so when undertaking this project I decided to go with the most aggressive (terry cloth) for the paint cleaner, the next least aggressive (microfiber) for the sealer/polish, and finally, the least aggressive (foam) for the wax and I am using either terry cloth or microfiber to remove these products as well.

Thoughts??

Comment

Impact cracks meaning that someone bumped into the bumper at a parking lot etc. The flex agent that is used in the paint that makes it flexible on the composite bumpers was flexed beyond its ability and therefore cracked. The frustrating part is that someone probably hit the bumper and because the composite would just flex back, you would not see the marks until much later.

When marring can be felt with the fingernail, it is usually too deep to remove as CC is very thin on OEM paints. Moreover, I have posted numerous times that machine compounding on a composite bumper is risky as you can wrinkle the paint do to excessive heat as the composite material will not dissipate heat like metal can. You can use UC to soften the edges but if it is cracks like I believe, they are right through and nothing but a repaint will solve it...

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by PonyGuy View Post
            Impact cracks? Like the car was hit OR something was drop on the bumper? There is no other damage elsewhere.

Opinions please...

At the detailing class I learned about the aggressivness of different applicators, so when undertaking this project I decided to go with the most aggressive (terry cloth) for the paint cleaner, the next least aggressive (microfiber) for the sealer/polish, and finally, the least aggressive (foam) for the wax and I am using either terry cloth or microfiber to remove these products as well.

Thoughts??
            Tim is 110% correct and when Tim speaks I listen.

Under your plastic bumper cover you have a foam or plastic honeycomb absorber, Than a steel rebar C shaped or boxed All designed to absorb impact to keep you safe. I have seen bumper covers travel as much as 8 to 10 inches and flex back to there orig. shape, all by design.

Unfortunately you cover traveled far enough to damage the paint and under coats and will need to be removed all the way down to raw plastic, if not when repainted as the paint cures it will **** into the cracks and be visible in the new paint.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');