• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving wax on overnight. Does that count for the 12 hour cure time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving wax on overnight. Does that count for the 12 hour cure time?

Hello, I washed and waxed my car with NXT 2.0 today and it was my first time using 2.0. So I have no idea how is it going to look. I applied it at 5 o clock and left it on the car because I didn't have time to wipe it. It was getting cold and there was no more light.

So I plan to remove the residue tomorrow morning which is more than 12 hours after I applied it. BUT.. Does the 12 hour cure timing work even if you did not remove the residue?
    I plan on putting step DC3 on top of the NXT

Re: Leaving wax on overnight. Does that count for the 12 hour cure time?

Ehh... not really.

But I wouldnt make a big deal out of it, just wait like 20 minutes minutes then use the other wax.

Why would you want to cover up Nxt 2.0? The water repelling polymers are the best part...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

you really should have wiped it off, i understand it was cold but i would of put some more layers on and got to work..the wax residue might be a pain to remove tomorow
      Addicted

Comment

No need to wait that long to remove it. Next time do the swipe test and remove it.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Leaving the bulk wax on overnight does NOT help max the wax job better. If you have trouble removing it, dont resort to rubbing really hard (and inducing swirls). Instead try putting a fresh coat of wax on top of what is there and then remove as soon as it passes the swipe test.
          2010 XRS

Comment

Originally posted by searle View Post
            Leaving the bulk wax on overnight does NOT help max the wax job better. If you have trouble removing it, dont resort to rubbing really hard (and inducing swirls). Instead try putting a fresh coat of wax on top of what is there and then remove as soon as it passes the swipe test.
            That's a great point but when I've run into things like this I just apply the same product or a light cleaner over the old and then remove, no need to wait.

And if left streaks on surface I will pull out in direct sun for a about 10 or 15 minutes to let the heat bring the oils to the top of the surface and then bring back to the shade and quickly spray on some detailer to remove the oils.
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Ehh... not really.

Why would you want to cover up Nxt 2.0?
              I used to think the same. NXT 2.0 is super stuff. I just put down two coats of a straight carnauba over my many coats of NXT 2.0. Holy cow what that did for a straight pure red! I see reflections and highlights on contours that I never saw before. It's not durable, but who cares? It's as close to perfection, in my opinion, as can be obtained.
              "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
              BOB

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                ...I just apply the same product or a light cleaner over the old and then remove, no need to wait...
                For sure. Waiting a bit for the swipe test is the longest I wait. But if I am having a problem like this, I dont have much patience and tend to put the new coat on, gently work it, and then remove. Sometimes it takes another coat in selected spots if there is a stubborn area.

Frozenbarb:
                I understand in your case this was an unforseen situation. Just as background, there was a tread here a couple of months ago where folks were asking about the internet myth that it was best to apply wax, leave it on overnight, then wipe/remove. Everyone pointed out that the thick wax actually impedded curing, and was typically difficult to remove (promoting swirls). Even Meguiars folks agreed. Much better to lightly apply, haze, wipe, let stand to cure, then apply second light coat. That is the ideal approach. Although overnight curing is ideal it is not mandatory (even 1 hour cure helps alot).
                2010 XRS

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. I still think I want to wax over the NXT since it is more of a sealant. I got to school and removed the wax in the cold in the parking lot.
                  It was easy to remove except maybe for like 9 light spots that needed a little force.

First time using NXT and it looks great! It looks so shiny and wet that I just love staring at the car.
                  So I might DC3 it tomorrow and my Collinite 845 came in today! Can't wait.

Comment

Actually, different folks use different terms, most folks (here at least) use Sealant to mean synthetic wax, Carnuba is natural wax. Both are waxes, same purpose and roughly same end result, just very slightly different properties.

The synthetic sealants tend to be a little more durable, and more glassy/reflective. The natural Carnubas tend to give a little more depth to colors. In my (very personal) opinion the syntetics seem a little "cold" and the carnubas a little "warm" but the difference is very slight, and quite possibly more imagined than real.
                    2010 XRS

Comment

You can also give it a spritz of QD if it's hard to come off but it should still come off pretty easily unless it was exposed to dew.

Comment

I had to leave the NXT on overnight just to gry. We've been having cold weather and it was not dry enough even after a couple of hours. I had no problem taking it off the next morning.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');