• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation

Hello

After some advice i have been away for 4 months and left my car under a car cover, washed and waxed it befor I went away. On my return removed the cover to find the red paint on the bonnet has oxidized.

Is there anyway of restoring the paint to its former glory??

Any advice greatly appreciated

Below are some pictures

Re: Oxidation

Any light paint cleaner or cleaner/wax should restore the richness of color.

While most modern cars have a clear coat finish, some cars have a single stage paint and single stage paint will tend to oxidize much faster than a clear coat finish.

Do you know what type of paint you have? Do you see red color coming off when you work on your car?

How To Test for a Clearcoat or Single Stage Paint Finish

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks for the reply, the paint is a clearcoat

Comment

would it be worth claying the car and then using the paint cleaner or vica versa?

Comment

Hmmmm, I just looked at the clearcoat failure archive and you may be experiencing the beginnings of cleat coat failure. One of my neighbors has something very similar on the roof of his car but it was not oxidation and clearly matches the pictures in the archive. If this is clear coat failure then there is nothing that can be done short of repainting the affected areas. It may be oxidation but on the bad cars and their problems I have seen around my neighborhood, none have looked like this. If it is only oxidation, then I would reccomend claying first (this is a must and should always be done before any paint repair should be done) and using a paint cleaner such as Scratch X 2.0, Ultimate Compound or Swirlx. Claying is always done before using a designated paint cleaner. I hope its only oxidation and your able to fix it. Good luck.
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Thanks for the reply i will try the clay and then paint cleaner fingers crossed this will sort it out

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');