• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with ONR water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with ONR water?

So, I'm partially convinced that ONR (or a similar no rinse product) may be the way to go when water restrictions are an issue.

So, just so I have it right, the process is to use a little of the product in a bucket with water, soak a wash mitt, wash a panel at a time, dry with a microfiber and repeat.

1)Is that the entire process? If not, please correct/ add.

2)It seems that you will end up with dirty water from rinsing the mitt (either using a grit guard or another bucket of fresh water.) So, what do you do with that water that is left over from rinsing?

Re: What to do with ONR water?

Pour it onto the lawn or planters

Comment

What if you are at a clients house and using ONR? it seems a bit tacky to dump the dirty water into their planter. Would it make sense to have some sort of storage container to dump it into until you got to a "safe" place to dump it?

Comment

Originally posted by photoryan View Post
        What if you are at a clients house and using ONR? it seems a bit tacky to dump the dirty water into their planter. Would it make sense to have some sort of storage container to dump it into until you got to a "safe" place to dump it?
        That's an option. Many mobile detailers have a dirty tank for that exact reason.

Comment

So, I guess a follow-up question would be (for those who have the experience) how much dirty/ waste water do you end up with after washing a car? Please also let me know how many gallons you find you start with to wash a typical vehicle. (i.e. 5 gallons to wash a Tahoe, two gallons waste; 2 gallons to wash a Focus, almost not waste, etc.)

Comment

I use the two bucket method. Usually only fill each up to 4 gallons though. IF you buy the lids to the buckets you can cover them up and then drive them home to dump them in your lawn.

That way you don't need a dirty tank.

Oh and after I finish washing my car I usually only lose half a gallon... Most of it just gets transferred into the rinse bucket..

Comment

Pour it on the lawn... if I'm not mistaked ONR is a natural soy based cleaner, and will not harm the grass.
              Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

I understand your dilemma. However I really do not see a problem, pouring it on the lawn. Unless your area has strict rules about reclaiming your waste water.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I wash both my PT Cruiser and the wife's CRV with ONR. I usually put about 2 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket and end up dumping about 2/3 of it when I'm done.

I simply dump it out on the grass in front of our building.

If dealing with a client, I would probably just put a lid on the bucket and leave with it. Even though it's safe to pour on the lawn etc after use if someone else happened to pour something on the lawn near where you were did, you'd be blamed if the grass browned.

Comment

I can understand his problem. It might seem rude to pour that on someone else's lawn.

I would ask them if they mind, if they don't just pour it on their lawn, if they do bring it home.

Comment

Get a lid for the bucket and then take it home and dump it?

Comment

Bucket lid seems like a good suggestion, although if I were living in a water restricted area (i.e. there is a shortage of water) I would be more than happy if someone poured that water on my lawn.

Depending on how many cars you do at a time, you might need a really big wate water bucket. 5 gallons per car @ 10 cars per day = 50 gallons of water. I doubt you would want to haul a 55 gallon drum of water around at the end of a day.
                        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Well, I am only at the 1-or-2-cars-each-day-every-couple-of-months level. However, a buddy of mine mentioned to me yesterday that he has a firefighter friend who gives him some hard plastic containers that are originally used to store or transport fire retardant. When they use it (for whatever they use it for), they get rid of the containers. They are 5 gallon and have a relatively large opening. So, I'm thinking that those might work for my current situation, and won't require me to purchase anything extra right now. We'll see what they look like whenever he can get me a few.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It had been a while since I've been on. And it's nice to be back.

Comment

Would they not have a drain pipe or storm water drain near?
                            http://www.photostand.co.za/images/u...hgf8neh0w8.jpg

Comment

It's hard to say if they would have a storm drain or something nearby. I actually wouldn't be opposed to dumping on the grass, as mentioned already. However, if I start detailing for people other than friends, I want to keep as professional an appearance as possible, and I think that dumping on grass or down a drain at the house has a less-than professional look to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');