• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is that true you shouldn't polish/wax new cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that true you shouldn't polish/wax new cars?

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere - my eyes are sore reading and digging posts to find information about detailing a new car...

I read forum articles saying that you shouldn't polish and wax a new car for at least a month (and shouldn't wash for at least a week) to allow factory paint to fully cure. Is this true?

I have a 2004 Polo and am getting my new Golf in May...

Experts and forum members inputs will be very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    J

Re: Is that true you shouldn't polish/wax new cars?

No, if it's brand new from factory, there is no problem in polish/wax it.

I had the same doubt, give a look at this thread http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=40928

Comment

Originally posted by Bluher View Post
      No, if it's brand new from factory, there is no problem in polish/wax it.

I had the same doubt, give a look at this thread http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=40928
      Thank you soooo much, Bluher! much appreciated.
      I can finally searching the net and rest my eyes

Cheers,
      J

Comment

I think that may be true for a car or body work that has been newly painted. Perhaps your dealer could let you know when the vehicle was manufactured so you know how old the paint would be on your new car.

Comment

Polishing or Waxing Production (OEM oven cured) Paintwork

Original equipment materials (OEM) specified materials are very different from refinish paint products and materials

The most often asked question and a subject that results in a great deal of confusion regarding polishing or waxing OEM paint. Paint curing process; new cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures, these high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) paint is cured at high temperatures; OEM paints are cured in a paint oven at around 320. °F (160. °C) for 20 minutes, in multiple oven zones where the paint is baked with radiation and convection heat, or infrared so that 90-95% of the paint systems out gassing has taken place, the additional 5-10% will cure within 2-3 days and the vehicle’s paint can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant.

By not applying some sort of paint protection soon after purchase the customer is actually damaging the paint surface instead of helping it. Salesmen that advise a customer not to wax a car for 3-6 months are relying on old paint methods and are misinformed about the latest paint technology. The newer paints are catalyzed (a chemical reaction that cures the paint) lacquers and enamels needed an extensive time for the solvents to release, with modern water based paints this is not necessary.

This is a huge problem in dealerships because customers tend to take the advice offered by a salesman who usually knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained paint professional. This goes a long way to understand why fairly new vehicles paint surfaces are in such bad shape even after a relatively short period of time.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
          ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Brand new from dealer. Okay.
            Just back from body shop. Wait so the paint can out gas.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');