• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buffed my car, now it is buffer trail and hologram world :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffed my car, now it is buffer trail and hologram world :(

so yeah i buffed my car with a 3M white eggshell pad (7") and some meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner (the red arrow is at 5). It removed a good deal of the scratches galore the winter made out of the car as well as restoring the shine to some parts of the car which were abraded pretty badly. i was in the shadow while doing the job and finished at dusk, the car was looking pretty much perfect.
    Only i went to the movie tonight then i went to put gas in the car, nearly had an heart attack, the car is full of buffer marks/trails and what i could call holograms (pearlescent black mitsubishi lancer btw).

what could i do to restore that ? or at least could it be hidden with #7 nshow car glaze till i have the money to have a pro buff out the car ???

im pretty shocked with how poor the results are (and embarassed too )
    Je suis fier d'

Re: buffed my car, now it is buffer trail and hologram world

Originally posted by benzowacko View Post
    so yeah i buffed my car with a 3M white eggshell pad (7") and some meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner (the red arrow is at 5). It removed a good deal of the scratches galore the winter made out of the car as well as restoring the shine to some parts of the car which were abraded pretty badly. i was in the shadow while doing the job and finished at dusk, the car was looking pretty much perfect.
    Only i went to the movie tonight then i went to put gas in the car, nearly had an heart attack, the car is full of buffer marks/trails and what i could call holograms (pearlescent black mitsubishi lancer btw).

what could i do to restore that ? or at least could it be hidden with #7 nshow car glaze till i have the money to have a pro buff out the car ???

im pretty shocked with how poor the results are (and embarassed too )
    Try M82 or 205 with a polishing pad.

Comment

Use a polishing pad. The white 3M waffle pad is a compounding pad. Thats why you're getting crazy holograms
      Alan T.

Comment

polishing pads you say, in the 3m range what would those be ? local paint place only stock 3M pads and i dont have a credit card to order online, but they stock pretty much all meguiars paint shop safe products
        Je suis fier d'

Comment

In the 3m line up the polishing pad is their black pad.

3M White (compounding)
          3M Black (polishing)
          3M Blue (finishing)
          Alan T.

Comment

ok good, now i know what was not correct

black pads it will be, asap

finishing pads arent a necessity if i apply polish/glaze and wax by hand or with a wax spreader dont they ?
            Je suis fier d'

Comment

What kind of machine are you using? Rotary or DA?

With both machines, but with rotary the most, techniques is a very important factor. It's difficult to get a 100% swirl free surface just by the rotary.

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
                What kind of machine are you using? Rotary or DA?

With both machines, but with rotary the most, techniques is a very important factor. It's difficult to get a 100% swirl free surface just by the rotary.
                What he said

Sometimes impossible to get hologram free finish on black paint with a rotary. We *always* finish up with a DA for this reason

Comment

i dont own a DA ,just a rotary,i tried to rent a DA polisher but no one has those available to rent, and 250$ for a new one is a bit much for me at the moment

the technique may affect the finish as i get more holograms on vertical panels than the hood/trunk/roof

also the repainted areas on the car are much less prone to swirling/holograms or buffer trails
                  Je suis fier d'

Comment

Should be able to pick up a used Porter Cable 7424 for pretty cheap now that the XP is out, I'd guess around $50-$75 used.

Not surprising that repainted panels behave differently - this is very common and just illustrates why we need to test and find the right process every time.

Comment

pc 7424 are 239.99$ here guess canada blows for that
                      Je suis fier d'

Comment

canada blows for that

Comment

what could i do to restore that ?
                          Flex 3401

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');